Help with choosing a casual gaming laptop

dhruv mehta

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Hey,
I need to buy a decently moderate laptop which I will use for gaming now and then besides general purposes. My budget it under $800 or 50000 INR. Please feel free to make your own suggestions keeping in mind that they should be available in the Asia pacific region(you can use www.flipkart.com for reference)
I have narrowed down to these laptops
- HP pavilion m4 1003tx
- HP pavilion m4 1012tx
- HP pavilion g6-2304tx
-HP 15-n204tx

The first two have similar configs of i3 3230m 2.6ghz with nvidia 730m.

The doubt I have is that would choosing a PC having i5-4200U processor and nvidia 740m be as good as one with i3-3230m and 730m

I would be grateful if someone could answer all my questions
Thanks
(I will only choose HP, dell and Asus because all others have bad after sales service)

Solution
The 740m is much better than the 8670, which performs as well as an integrated GPU. The minimum 3GHz dual-core processor for games shouldn't be an issue. These are usually suggested techinical specs, even if it does say minimum. The i3 3230M doesn't even come close to that as well and additionally, a better GPU should always be priority over a better CPU when you're looking for a gaming laptop.

The CPU could bottleneck if it doesn't perform as well as the GPU, but not having a high-performing GPU is worse for your FPS.

The 740M is a great GPU for casual gaming and it should run older games at high settings just fine or low/med settings for newer offerings.
The i5-4200U processor is about as powerful as the i3-3230M, but the 740M produces 10-12 more fps than the 730M. So the i5-4200U with the 740M would be the all-around best choice.

Additionally the i5-4200U produces less heat and creates better battery efficiency.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

dhruv mehta

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
But some games have minimum requirements of like 3ghz dual core processor and all so how will a 1.6 GHz 4200U suffice?
And lastly how are the laptops having the 4200U and coupled with an amd 8570/8670 compared to the ones I have listed?

The 740m is much better than the 8670, which performs as well as an integrated GPU. The minimum 3GHz dual-core processor for games shouldn't be an issue. These are usually suggested techinical specs, even if it does say minimum. The i3 3230M doesn't even come close to that as well and additionally, a better GPU should always be priority over a better CPU when you're looking for a gaming laptop.

The CPU could bottleneck if it doesn't perform as well as the GPU, but not having a high-performing GPU is worse for your FPS.

The 740M is a great GPU for casual gaming and it should run older games at high settings just fine or low/med settings for newer offerings.

Solution