Help with installing an operating system on a blank SSD

diwang99

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have recently blanked my computer's SSD since I was experiencing issues with GRUB. Now, Ubuntu wouldn't install since it always says "the installer has experienced a fatal error" and my Windows 10 bootable USB stick (created by the Windows Media Creation Tool) wouldn't register in the boot menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Make sure in the bios Enable detection of usb legacy devices is enabled Diwang.

If the board is new and his Uefi capable.

Make sure CSM mode in the advanced bios setup options is enabled.
And set the detection of boot able devices and hardware detection is set to Legacy/Uefi mode.

Save the new changes made before you exit the bios.
And make sure that the Usb flash drive is inserted into a usb 2,0 spec port if your motherboard has them as well as usb 3.0 or usb 3.1 ports.

Hlsgsz

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Download the Media Creation Tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ and make a bootable USB wiht it.

Get the latest drivers from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005
File: f6flpy-x64.zip. Unzip it to a folder on a USB drive(it can be the one with windows on it).

Disconnect all other drives except the one you are installing to.

Go into the BIOS and disable "CSM" and enable "Secure boot" in the Boot section.

Start the install and when it asks where to install hit "have disk" and point it to the folder you put the above files in.

**WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL WIPE AND ENTIRE DISK, NOT JUST A PARTITION**

Then hit SHIFT+F10 and:
diskpart
list disk
select disk x(where x is the drive in case)
clean
convert gpt
exit
exit

Hit refresh, select the clean drive, and the "new". Windows will create several partition and auto-select the correct one to install to(you can also set the size of the partition after hitting "new", but you don't need to if you are using the whole drive).

Shaun o

Distinguished
Make sure in the bios Enable detection of usb legacy devices is enabled Diwang.

If the board is new and his Uefi capable.

Make sure CSM mode in the advanced bios setup options is enabled.
And set the detection of boot able devices and hardware detection is set to Legacy/Uefi mode.

Save the new changes made before you exit the bios.
And make sure that the Usb flash drive is inserted into a usb 2,0 spec port if your motherboard has them as well as usb 3.0 or usb 3.1 ports.

Solution

diwang99

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

OK, so I'm not supposed to stick USB 3.0 into a USB 3.0 port?

Edit: What is CSM mode and where do I find it in BIOS?

Edit: But my laptop is UEFI capable. Should I still enable CSM mode?

diwang99

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

I used the media creation tool to make a bootable usb but it doesn't show up on the boot menu.

Hlsgsz

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Use a USB 2.0 porst always when installing, regardless of teh nature of teh stick. And if teh SSD is clean and you disconnect everythign else, you don;t need to worry about teh boot menu.
CSM enables legacy BIOS mode, but you want UEFI, so disable it in teh BIOS. It's under "boot".
Adn go through the steps i listed.

diwang99

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

But my laptop only has USB 3.0 ports unfortunately.

diwang99

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

thanks, but I now know the solution to my problem. I just needed to set my BIOS to UEFL and the USB showed up.