Nycked

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
After countless hours researching the solutions to this problem I have come up empty.
I think part of the problem here is most people who found a solution aren't stuck with the archaic Aptio Setup Utility.

Laptop comes preinstalled with Windows 8. I am attempting to downgrade to Windows 7.
I disabled secure boot, enabled CSM prior to installing Windows 7. Once the installation is complete, I am stuck in a boot loop that restarts at Starting Windows screen.

The solutions I have encountered online, such as

Step 1: Enter BIOS
Step 2: Enter advanced mode
Step 3: Enter the Advanced Mode Menu->Boot->Secure Boot
Step 4: Change “OS type” to “Other OS”

do not seem to apply as this bios utility only has the option of enabling or disabled secure boot and deleting keys. This "OS type" option which seems to be the solution I'm looking for is not included in this bios utility. Asus support said it was only included in "newer" models. I flashed the most recent BIOS version and am still at a standstill. I can reinstall Windows 8+ without issue, anything else seems to cause this issue.

Asus has no resources on this particular issue and everything I've encountered thus far doesn't apply to this utility and this problem with it. There's no way they can not allow you to load your preferred OS. I've used this same bootable USB on two system yesterday without a single problem. The one is an Asus mobo with a comprehensive bios utility.

The only other options I've seen seem to apply to people reinstalling Windows 7 and using a restore point. Since I'm downgrading from Windows 8.1 I don't think this applies.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone here might know the best course of action. I am extremely hopeful someone will see this and say "noob you're doing this and should be doing this"..

Any help and input is GREATLY appreciated.

Nycked

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016

Yes, I suppose I should have included all relevant details. I did this on two systems yesterday, one didn't have secure boot and the other was a new build so there was nothing to hinder the install.. AFAIK I've done everything correctly. I am confident it has to do with Secure Boot.

Nycked

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016

Yes. Here's what happens with enabled and disabled. (SB = Secure Boot)

Enabled: I get a boot policy violation (obviously) as Win 7 isn't compatible with SB.
Disabled: I get a reboot loop -- system restarts at Starting Windows screen once Windows 7 is installed.

I have done about 10 installs with different configurations and all result in the same reboot loop.

So I disable secure boot while Windows 8 is installed, enable CSM, then load bootable USB with Win 7. Go through typical Windows 7 install routines, once it's completed, it just enters this reboot cycle again. Tried just about everything I could find online regarding this SB issue -- many people have had this issue after a specific Windows Update, Asus remedied a fix but only for later BIOS utilities. Not this one I'm on (despite the fact this laptop is not THAT old).

Asus offered me no solution either, except this https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1016356/ which I'm sure would remedy this except this option isn't available within my BIOS utility, which they acknowledged but did not offer any alternative solutions. This seemed to be the fix for most people. Haven't found one instance of this particular issue being resolved online however. They requested I send it in for service--absolutely not happening as the PC is totally fine. Win 8+ runs and installs as expected. They also informed me, as expected, that there's no way to update the BIOS utility. I am willing to do just about anything to resolve this, except throw money at the problem.

Nycked

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Using a Macbook w/ Win 7 Bootcamp. Might I ask why that matters?
No issue here, can pop on my desktop but not entirely sure why it would be necessary lol

ffg7

Splendid
unless you have an external 2.5" or 3.5" drive enclosure to put that laptop drive into or make a bootable flashdrive with "active killdisk" on it to wipe that drive. had to do that a number of times when reusing a hard drive that had win10 on it before I could successfully install win7 onto that drive.

Nycked

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016

I had considered something along these lines. Was hoping not to open it up but am in the process of doing so.
So could you explain the process you used or link me to a tut? I haven't used Active Killdisk

ffg7

Splendid
just download & install the killdisk program onto your windows as not certain if it has a bootable option or not. start the program & select the drive you want kill but make certain it is NOT your windows drive. I only let it get to 1 or 2% before I stop the program as have found it has done enough that I can now install win7 with no problems.

Nycked

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Just finished install of Win 7. Still doing it. I'm giving up and putting Win 8 back on this POS.
Thanks again for the help, if possible would like to leave this open in case someone does have a solution. Really baffled as to why this is happening. Disappointing.

Thanks again ffg7