Help with laptop purchase for son

stoicx

Estimable
May 3, 2014
i am starting early shopping for a laptop for our son for christmas.
unfortunately we are not as rich as he is intelligent.

i want it to be able to run the games he likes and also as a tool for research and school work
he plays
rocket league
kerbal
the left 4 dead series including of course the (hopefully)future release of part 3
other games too but those are the ones he plays most
and of course his steam account

i'd like to get him one with a 17 inch screen

i have found decent laptops for a 1000 bucks but was hoping some here could point me to something a little less expensive that will do what he will need it to do and not become too out-dated too fast

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 30, 2015
I would recommend either A) getting him a desktop or B) waiting a few months. In a few months (weeks, on paper) Kaby Lake, Bristol Ridge and Polaris will all be out, and laptops with them will be reasonably more powerful than what's out now.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Uhg that seems so expensive for the performance you get, but it probably is a good deal.
Just compared to a decent ITX build, I can never justify a laptop.

If he doesn't commute for work, and he probably doesn't play games in the coffee shop, etc...

Your best bet is to get a nice portable rig for gaming, maybe $650-$700, then just get a cheaper laptop, maybe $250 for when he needs to get away to study.

It isn't, in my opinion, good to have all your important data and documents in an easy to lose and break location. Not to mention the cost of the hardware.

An expensive rig will never get dropped. A laptop will get dropped and spilled on, just a matter of time.

It really is tough. Especially if you don't have the experience with building your own system.

Laptops are just so expensive and easy to break but hard to fix.

stoicx

Estimable
May 3, 2014

i've considered a desk top i prefer them myself.. but something mobile will really work much better for him.

thankfully he is a great caretaker of his and others things

USAFRet

Illustrious

Actually, yes it is.
At a specific price point, what is available today is different than what is available in 6 months.

Speaking of price point, what is it?
$400? $2000?

Define the actual absolute top price, and buy the best system you can on that day.

stoicx

Estimable
May 3, 2014

it's early to buy i agree. but for now i am just shopping to see what's out there what may be coming out and what other people suggest .

i know i can get everything i want for him for 1000 dollars.. but less would be better. the more less the more better of course.. so long as it meets the other criteria