Help with netlimiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzloX08

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
Good day! I was hoping you can help me with my netlimiter problem. Im using netlimiter for my internet/cyber cafe so that costumers who are downloading/video streaming wont slow down the internet for gamers. The problem is netlimiter also limits LAN for example: copying files over LAN is slow, when a user browse internet it slows down his LAN game (multiplayer). Is there an option so that i only limit the internet not the whole connection?

1 more thing using netlimiter saves me from downloaders but not for uploaders. Even when I limit the upload speed to 50kb/s when someone uploads, every online game in the network will disconnect or lag (though you can browse the internet just fine). Im using 8mbps DSL connection.

I hope you guys can help me it will save me some of the problems of my cafe. Sorry for bad english :)

EDIT: here is my netlimiter settings
http://imgur.com/a/v4qJ4

Solution
Full disclosure: I am not a pfSense user so unable to comment directly.

I would be hard pressed to anticipate what the outcome would be and what actual performance/control would be achieved.

Since it is your network you will be able to make other adjustments and configuration changes necessary to accomodate pfSense and could test pfSense accordingly.

Just backup so you can restore your network if things do not work out well. Document your network (diagrams, connections, configurations) as a reference point.

Verify that your network meets the requirements necessary to use pfSense. Look at the details.

Read the pfSense installation and configuration documentation carefully, plan your actions one by one. Change only one thing at...
How many customers and/or gamers are you trying to support?

Not sure about how much more you can do with NetLimiter - primarily because your "promised" ISP DSL speed is very low and in real use even lower.

You might be able to add some QoS controls via your router but unless the router is a commericial grade router your options there are also limited.

Consider hiring someone to help you redesign and upgrade your network to a bandwidth that will meet customer requirements. People will always be trying to cheat the system so you will need to be able to fully monitor and manage the end users.

Consider some fee for high bandwidth users to help with the cost of the network upgrade.

renzloX08

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

I have 10 client PCs, 8mbps connection (is an ok connection in my country coz we dont have fiber yet) can handle internet browsing, video streaming, gaming but not downloading. When someone downloads, it will eat up bandwith and make the gamers lag. As for your suggestion for additional fee, that wont do. People here are very picky with internet cafes and look for the cheapest one. My PC rental right now is 0.3 USD/hour (used google converter).

So netlimiter dont have options like that? My router comes from the ISP (i dont think its commercial grade) and is connected to a switch. I cant pay for services like that it is very costly so Im doing everything myself. Tnx for the reply btw

Unfortunately you are in a tough situation all things considered.

Overall, your existing network and ISP service is really not up to handling the load (required bandwidth) as I understand the problems.

However I would expect that your customers, as a group, may favor fast reliable internet over a modest price increase. Especially if gaming and downloading/uploading. "Time is money" to them also.

You might look at the router and see if you can give some priorities to the gaming sites. However, that will probably not do too much to help.

What switch do you have? If it is a managed/smart switch you may be able to apply more controls. If not maybe you can purchase a managed switch and improve the situation a bit without too much additional cost.

What are the make and models of the router and existing switch? Please post.

Maybe someone will be able to offer some specific suggestions with respect to those devices.

renzloX08

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

i dont think my switch has that options. It is the cheapest and most basic switch I can buy at the store. Im on a budget when I started so i bought the cheapest parts.

Someone suggest pfSense load balancing browsing/gaming. They said it will not affect gaming latency even someone DLs or video streams. What are your thoughts on that?

Full disclosure: I am not a pfSense user so unable to comment directly.

I would be hard pressed to anticipate what the outcome would be and what actual performance/control would be achieved.

Since it is your network you will be able to make other adjustments and configuration changes necessary to accomodate pfSense and could test pfSense accordingly.

Just backup so you can restore your network if things do not work out well. Document your network (diagrams, connections, configurations) as a reference point.

Verify that your network meets the requirements necessary to use pfSense. Look at the details.

Read the pfSense installation and configuration documentation carefully, plan your actions one by one. Change only one thing at a time so you can go back a step if need be.

PfSense has quite a bit of documentation on their website. Visit and do some reading.

And hopefully someone else here will post some additional suggestions and advice with respect to your situation and/or the applicability of pfSense.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS