Help with surround sound

Hami12

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
Hey, I bought a junk system and am trying to salvage some dignity. It's a Harmon (not to be confused with Harman-Kardon) hk3700. All the speakers have signal and sound supprisinly good except the sub. It just sits there and hums. Any suggestions. Btw the sub is part of the reciever. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from smashing it into 1m pieces.

Solution
Sounds like the subwoofer amp may be bad. If you want to use the system you could open the receiver/subwoofer and disconnect the woofer driver which would stop the hum. Would not get you the bass that it was supposed to produce though. While it's open you can take a look for any blown components but unless you are a tech I don't know if there will be anything you can fix..
Sounds like the subwoofer amp may be bad. If you want to use the system you could open the receiver/subwoofer and disconnect the woofer driver which would stop the hum. Would not get you the bass that it was supposed to produce though. While it's open you can take a look for any blown components but unless you are a tech I don't know if there will be anything you can fix..

Solution