Help with these laptops

xarly_2g

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
In another forum recommended this, so here I am to ask for :)

After 7 years, my Acer Aspire says goodbye and I need a laptop. Principally, I will use it to office, internet and watching series and films. I don't think I will play a game but it is possible.

I know a little bit about laptop, but I don't know if AMD is better than Intel or i5 is better than i3 to my necessety. For sure, I want, minimium, 8GB of RAM

My budget is 600€ and I found these :??:

Lenovo

ASUS

Thank you so much :bounce:

If your budget is €600, then the Lenovo is clearly out of range.

Here's a review of the ASUS - but with an i7 CPU:
http://www.mimundogadget.com/2017/02/analisis-asus-vivobook-max-k541uv.html

Battery life isn't too impressive, and even allowing for an i5 CPU I doubt you'll get more than 3-4 hours of standard use. Also, it relies on the BGN WiFi standard, which is a bit cheap, but it does have a USB Type-C port. I don't know which is going to be more important to you, but those are my main reservations about the ASUS. Other than that, it's a fine machine that is likely to meet your requirements.

Of course, if you can find the extra €80, the Lenovo will offer a faster WiFi standard and a marginally faster CPU. Weight and battery life are largely the same. The Lenovo does have one advantage over most other brands available today: If you ever run into problems with Windows 10 - to the point where you can't access the laptop - the Lenovo has a Novo button (or pinhole) that opens a basic menu where you can restore the laptop without using Windows.

xarly_2g

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
First of all, thank you, GreyCatz.

Now, I have a doubt about intel because I will not use the laptop to play games, I think. So, if I buy it with intel i3 of 6th or 7th generation (with U), is it enough to use office and watching films and series? Can these i3 work satisfactorily?

I am comparing price and i3 is cheaper and, in this way, I could buy a laptop with SSD.

You should definitely invest in an SSD - that's going to make a world of difference compared with a mechanical HDD.

As regards a dual-core Skylake i3, here's a review of such a CPU by notebookcheck.com:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-6100U-Notebook-Processor.149441.0.html

They conclude that the i3 tested is fine for "office and multimedia purposes as well as more demanding applications and light multitasking". That seems to describe your intended use.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.