help with video capture settings

deecrutch

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
I am trying to record one of my old vhs tapes onto my computer so that I can put it on dvd, and I need to know some good general settings(resolution, bit rates, anything helpful) that will give me at least vhs picture quality without having too big of a file. I am using Pinnacle Studio 8(that came with my capture card) and my tape is 4 hours long. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Dee

Specs: P4 2.8ghz, 512mb RAM, AIW 9700 pro,
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, Sound Blaster Live,
60 gig and 250 gig hdd's, 19" monitor,
Antec case w/430 watt psu

pat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2001
You dont have much choice. Either you make 2 x2hours DVDs or 4x1hours DVDs. The best settings are ususlly found by trials and errors, as there is no magic recipies that fits everything.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
be warned, pinnacle studio 8 does not like long projects. be sure to save regularly and expect it to take anywhere up to 7 hours to render the 4 hours footage. that program can fit the project to disk however at 4hours, on one disk it'll be equivalent to a long play recording on a VHS tape. like pat says you're probably better off splitting the project in two and making 2 individual DVD's

deecrutch

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
Thanks for the responses folks. Quick question about Pinnacle though. I found out the hard way about Pinnacle 8 and long projects, but would Pinnacle 9 do any better? Also, what do you guys think of similar products from Roxio(Easy Media Creator), and Sonic(RecordNow)? I tried doing this project with Nero 6, and it would have worked fine except for some issues Nero seems to be having completing projects, not only with my system, but also many others from what I've read.

As for the video quality, I don't mind that it will come out at VHS quality. Quite honestly, I didn't think it would get much better than that anyway, because the source is a VHS tape. I just don't want it to get worse than that. Thanks for the help though.

Dee

Specs: P4 2.8ghz, 512mb RAM, AIW 9700 pro,
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, Sound Blaster Live,
60 gig and 250 gig hdd's, 19" monitor,
Antec case w/430 watt psu