Help! XMpeg Won't work

G

I have been trying to convert a DVD into a Divx. Everytime I try to encode the DVD, I get an error message that reads "An error occured when trying to generate the file. Check that you're not using the output file or the program is set up correctly."

I followed the setup in the newest Tom's guide.
I'm using The newest DivX(4.02) and XMpeg(4.1c) versions.
I copied the DVD to my hard drive, and that didn't help either.

Specs:
Amd Athlon 1.4ghz
MSI K7Master 6341 MotherBoard
512MB DDR SDram
Nvidia Geforce2MX
Sound Blaster Live

What could be the problem. Ive been trying to get this to work for about 2 hours now...

MajinChewY

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
im getting the same error message, i know im not using the output file, i have tryed rebooting windows and reinstalling xmpeg, i am using divx4 and mp3 audio, i could compress [-peep-] before but now it wont do diddaly, i did everything doom9 said to do, dunno wtf its problem is

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are a number of reasons why your versions of xmpeg may not work. First, you may have a bad download. Second, you may not have downloaded all the seperate things the program needs to work. Third, some of the stuff just plain don't work and you just need to find settings that do work. Sound is really bad about not working at certan bit rates. Try to playing around with the sound settings or try to make a movie with no sound. If the thing works with no sound then you know that sound is your problem and then you can go from there. You also may try redownloading the program. Also double check that you have divx and mp3 codecs loaded on your system.

Did you set EVERYthing up exactly as described without skipping any steps? I've gotten in trouble by following the pictures without reading the body of the text. Sometimes the pictures are not shown with the correct settings but the text explains the correct ones.

Good luck!

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

MajinChewY

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
I have narrowed the problem down and its a problem with the radium mp3 codec at bitrates of 96kbps and up, their has been a fix posted on the doom9 boards but i dont understand exactly how to implament it, here it is.......

Here is the Solution for the "Xmpeg 4.1 - Windows XP - MP3 Problem". Insert the following to you registry and you can encode DivX and Mp3 (96kbit and Higher) with Xmpeg under Windows XP. No error message like can't write file, or file is in use anymore. Yeapeeeee!!!!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer
\Settings\MP3Encoding]
"LowRate"=dword:0000dac0
"MediumRate"=dword:0000fa00
"MediumHighRate"=dword:0001f400
"HighRate"=dword:0002ee00

........ what i dont understand is how to put 2 blank lines in a reg file, any suggestions?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know about the blank lines. I use Lame and Graphedit to do my sound with FU. Never tried radium. If you can't figure radium out there are others. From Doom9 "Radium MP3 codec (not needed if you have DivX3 installed on your system)" I use 3.11 so I don't need radium. When I use Flask I use the Fraunhofer mp3 codec. Good luck!

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

lakedude, how do you add the Fraunhofer mp3 codec into the MP3 selection menu? I mean, do you copy the files under the system folder or what? And where did you get it? Does it come bundeled with DivX3.11?

Regards,

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>