High performance laptop with serial (RS-232) port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fre_ZZe

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hi,

I need to find a high performance laptop (i7 cpu, SSD, 8+GB ram etc) that comes with a serial port for communication.
USB to serial adapter is not an alternative.

I've used Lenovo before, but their new W520 laptop and docking doesnt have the serial anymore.

Does anyone know about one, or a site where I can do some filtering on that?

Thanx! :wahoo:

Fre_ZZe

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Well, as mentioned in my initial post - it's not an alternative using adapters. My boss tells me, although I'm not sure it's true, that adapters arent accurate enough.
So I really need to find a high performance laptop with serial integrated.

From the web somewhere:

"But if you've got something more esoteric, with tight timing
requirements, such as a chip programmer or a dongle, something that
isn't "pure", it may be that no USB device will work with it. For
example, no USB serial or parallel port (that I'm aware of, at least)
will allow you to toggle a control line faster than 500 Hz (the time
base for USB frames is 1 ms).
"

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
What device are you connecting to the serial port?

Alternative to serial -> USB is a Expresscard with serial port.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839150030
Features: Adds one high-speed serial port to your ExpressCard equipped computer Compatible with high-speed modems, monitoring equipment, serial networking and other serial devices Supports data rate up to 920 Kbps Built-in 128-byte FIFO buffers dramatically increase data transmit/receive speed, especially under Windows multitasking environment RoHS compliant
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839328018

I've used the serial -> usb adaptors with two devices: (1) A Digital dual trace O'scope for for transfering captured waveforms and (2) a Temperature/Dewpoint/RH Unit for downloading 30 day data dumps.

May be very difficault to find one with a serial port ( might be able to get one custom made). Dell Business laptops may have one.

Usb 2.0 - some adaptors support upto 921.6 Kbps and a few are upto 1 Mbps.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I've not seen newer laptops that contain a serial connector. I have used USB to serial quite often with a lot of success.

What specific are you needing the serial connection for? I'm just trying to figure out if there might be an option for something else.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The newest notebook I've seen that's also powerful is actually my Sager NP5793. I've only used that port once to manage some old switch. You can probably find a used one, but they really don't make them anymore..

Dr-muppet

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
We have the same problem an adapter cannot keep up with small packet data in a high frequency stream, it simply cannot make the analog digital conversion fast enough and fails within a minute of running have tried 20 different ones. HP Probook 6550b are what we are now using has serial port i7 processor and is actually a really solid laptop. I keep trying to let HP know that the only reason I buy them is for the serial port so hopefully they continue with it on at least one model I now have 30 of these laptops so should be reason enough for them to continue. Good luck

James Robinson

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
i have the same problem and can not use the usb to serial on a programing for trains. it will run a train thru lionel but not thru mth

Status
Not open for further replies.