Laptops That Are Most Compatible With PlayStation 4 Games

RhLxzrT.jpg

Ever wanted to play PS4™ games on your laptop but didn’t know how to? Well, with the introduction of Sony’s Remote Play for the PC, you can now stream PS4™ games onto your laptop provided you own a PS4™ or a PS4™ Pro. The question of what you will need on your laptop in order to stream the games has already raised a couple of eyebrows and some have managed to end up stumbled. Most ask, what does your laptop need equipped to run Remote Play? This tutorial will help guide you in making the right purchase for a laptop that is compatible with Remote Play.

1. You should know what the minimum specs for the Remote Play app is. As of this writing the hardware requirements for installing Remote Play on your Laptop/Desktop (as well as Sony's Remote Play app) can be found here and is listed as:
For a Windows PC:
A computer with either of the following operating systems,
Windows 8.1 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
An Intel® Core™ i5-560M Processor 2.67 GHz or faster
or
An Intel Core i5-2450M Processor 2.50 GHz or faster
When setting [Video Quality for Remote Play] > [Resolution] to [Best (1080p)] and [Frame Rate] to [High] on a PS4™ system (CUH-7000 series).
100 MB or more of available storage
2 GB or more of RAM
A 1024 × 768 or higher display resolution
Sound card
an available USB port

You’ve noticed that the suggestion for processor comes up twice here. The reason being is that if you want to set your streaming quality to highest you will need at least an Intel i5-2450M. If you’re not bothered about the image quality then an Intel i5-560M will do as the bare minimum.

For a Mac:
A computer with any of the following operating systems.
OS X Yosemite or OS X El Capitan or macOS Sierra or macOS High Sierra
An Intel Core i5-520M Processor 2.40 GHz or faster
40 MB or more of available storage
2 GB or more of RAM
an available USB port
Compared to a Windows machine, the requirements seem simpler.

2. You’ll need to be able to connect a DUALSHOCK™4 controller (either via the wireless adapter or a micro-USB to USB cable) to your laptop which is why you’re asked to have an available USB port on your system. At this point USB 2.0 or USB3.0 or latter does not matter.

3. You don’t need a dedicated GPU to pull off this stunt. All the graphical processing will take place on the PS4™ and the laptop is but a means to stream your gameplay onto. The same can be said about the game loading times. All games will be loading from the PS4™ so you can forgo installing an SSD on your laptop if budget is tight. Requiring only 2GB’s of ram should also make it accessible to laptops dating back nearly half a decade (or more).

With that out of the way, you can now begin to formulate how well your current laptop stands against the option to stream PS4™ games to your laptop. If you have an existing laptop and meets the bare minimum you should still be able to enjoy streaming gameplay albeit with reduced details. If you’re in the market to buy a laptop for the sole purpose of tasking Remote Play on it, then make sure you’re well above an Intel Core i5-2450M processor. In today’s lineup of groundbreaking processors, you can get away with any 8th Gen Intel i5 processor in a mobile package.

Hopefully you should now be richer with information when it comes to re-purposing a laptop or purchasing a laptop meant for playing PS4™ games.