High pitched buzzing noise coming from my Bell+Howard TV when I turn it on, and it only stops when I unplug it. Help?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpMePlease12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
As I said, there's a high pitched, constant, buzzing noise coming from my Bell+Howard TV when I turn it on. I've tried looking this up and someone, who claimed to hae the similar problem, said that they turned it on for 10 minutes to warm it up and it worked perfectly fine. As of this time, my TV has been on for 15 minutes and the buzzing noise still isn't going away, so his suggestion only worked for him. If ANYONE at ALL knows what's happening and how I can fix it, please let me know ASAP. I appreciate any and all who respond. :)

-Alex
EDIT: Also, since I forgot to mention this, I get no picture; there is a green light that is normally on when I turn my TV on, and the light is on, but shows no picture. Only the buzzing noise.

Solution
It is fried it sounds like. Have you tried unplugging from the wall for like 10-15 minutes? I doubt that will resolve it as it sounds internal.

Going to have to get a repair man or just buy a new TV.

Buzzing noises aren't a very reassuring thing.

I had a laptop charger do the same buzzing noise and I recycled it.

Sorry I can't give an answer but that is what I have experienced.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It is fried it sounds like. Have you tried unplugging from the wall for like 10-15 minutes? I doubt that will resolve it as it sounds internal.

Going to have to get a repair man or just buy a new TV.

Buzzing noises aren't a very reassuring thing.

I had a laptop charger do the same buzzing noise and I recycled it.

Sorry I can't give an answer but that is what I have experienced.

Solution

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I have never heard of that brand TV before, but your probably have leaking/damaged capacitors and the whine your hearing is probably the coils being unable to power up completely.

Poor quality capacitors is a common occurrence in value brand electronics, and while these can be repaired or replaced at home, I highly recommend against it unless you are very familiar with capacitors and electronic repairs.

The coils and capacitors can store 20k-30k volts, enough to kill you quite easily for weeks without being plugged in.

Unless your TV holds a current value of $350 or greater, you are better off replacing it than calling a technician to perform repairs. A capacitor repair usually costs around $250 from a TV repair shop.

HelpMePlease12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Yeah, that's what i figured it was. Thanks a lot. The TV was old anyway, so I found a Samsung for around $55 for a 20 minutes' drive, very worth it in my opinion.
Again, thanks.

-Alex

HelpMePlease12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

No, sadly, buzzing noises aren't reassuring at all. I went ahead and bought a new TV, since the Bell+Howard served it's purpose for quite a while. There's a store in my neighborhood where people donate things to, and that store resells them to raise money to build new homes. Got a semi-new Samsung for around $55. Appreciate the answer.:)
Again, thanks a lot.

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.