High pitched static sound from speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophyte

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hi all

I recently had a custom PC built a few months back, and ever since I've got it my powered monitor speakers have been emitting an odd noise only when connected to the computer. If they're connected to any other device the noise isn't there. I can only best describe it as a high pitched "static-y" sound. The noise is always there regardless of what I'm doing, and regardless of what level the computer or speaker volume is at.

The speakers are connected using an RCA to 3.5mm cable to the rear audio output of the computer. I also have a set of headphones connected to the front audio output which I use when I don't feel like turning on the speakers, because I don't get the high pitched sound out of the headphones. I've tried connecting the speakers to the front output but the noise still persists. I've tried swapping the RCA cable for a higher quality cable thinking that the issue may be interference, but that didn't help either.

This leads me to believe that it may be an issue with my computer or sound card but I don't know for sure, and if it is I don't know how to fix it.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks for reading.

killerbeam

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Lol I was googling about this problem because I had it too. Whenever I muted sounds, the high pitch static stopped.

I suddenly realised whether it's because of my microphone extension cord plugged in my back panel which leads to my keyboard microphone output (and this extension cord I believe is not a high quality ESD disturbance shielded one) so I tried to plug my headset microphone in it.

And voila! My problem was solved :D lol...

I am only telling this if you are having the same problem yourself? Some unplugged input line to your sound card? Or your speakers have a microphone input without a microphone in it? If not then try adding devices in every input your devices have and check if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.