Hitachi RPTV issues - squished picture

TN Jed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hello, Im new to tthe world of TV repair and know less on diagnosing the problems.

I have a Hitachi model 61UDX10B chasis DP 15.
Sometimes when the TV is turned on, there is no pic or sound but if you power off/on a time or two the pic and sound work. You could watch for hours after it actually came on and it rarely did this.
Recently it started more often and while watching TV the screen would go black and sound gone, sometimes a second or two later the pic and sound will come back, if not just power off/on a time or two to get pic and sound back. Also it will jump to a squished screen (see pic) and again, power off/on and it will work again for 2 seconds or 2 hours.

Ive done some searching (thats how I found you guys) and Ive searched this site. Ive found related issues and fixes but not one I can pin point and say "yup thats what I got".

It seems that all related issues point to replacing the STK's and resistors involved but again, not sure if thats the fix I need.

I have done some soldering on xboxes and sat tv receivers but nothing major. So my main questions are...
1) Whats wrong with my TV?
2) Is it something a noob to TV repair can fix?
hatachitv.jpg

Thanks in advance, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

TN Jed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Getting several views but no one has seen this issue before?
Thats not sounding too good for me :(
I hoped it would be a simple "oh yeah thats...."
From what Ive read and heard, I am thinking its either a convergence issue or a high voltage issue.
I really miss watching my big tv and watching this 27" is like watching a movie on a postage stamp :(

vane07ssa

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
The same thing happened to me 3 days ago. and I don't know what to do. I love my huge TV, and they don't make them like that anymore. The same image you have on your post is what I am looking at right now on mine. :( 3 days ago I moved to a smaller house. What's happening to my tv?

TN Jed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Sorry Im still in the dark. Ive posted on 2 different sites and no one seems to know. If you find an answer please report back here so I and others that end up with the problem can get the fix :)
Good luck