Hollywood Pushing For SOPA Sequel in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Since the idea seems to be to just keep pushing similar laws until one succeeds, the defense shouldn't just be to fight each one - suggest, advocate and, er, lobby? for laws that protect the Internet from govt intervention.

G

What the hell? Mr. Dodd became a highly payed lobbyist after loosing an election and is receiving generous US Senate retirement benefits by US taxpayers? How unethical, scumbag.

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Just imagine the final scene from Pick of Destiny, apart from Hollywood are the Devil and Everyone against him are Tenacious D.
Analogy aside, SOPA really does need to be shutdown, killed, murdered and never to be spoke of ever again, didn't they get the message the 1st time?

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
They Wont stop until it get voted in they want complete control, I rarely ever see a movie that's good anymore and i barley see a movie that worth paying 13$ To go see and 20-30$ to buy. If it wasn't for Netflix these people wouldn't make a penny from me.

Cry me a river is all i say to the people with millions of dollars complaining that the average american isn't buying their crap. This is not going to change a single little thing, just because i can't get it for free does't mean i'm going to buy it!

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
It is time to talk back to Hollywood and the music industry. It is time to tell them we are not going to stand by and let them walk all over us. It is time to tell them with our wallets. I suggest a year, 2013, (after Dark Knight Rises, preferably) become a year in which we all restrain from going to the theaters. The whole year. Show them we mean business. Strip them of their power. Show them that WE have the power here, not them. If they all of a sudden have their ticket sales fall through the floor, they'll take notice. Who's with me?

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
Why can't they understand that people are WILLING to pay for their crap?? Make it easy to access and use...that's it. MPAA/RIAA is the worst combination of greedy and stupid.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I know im going to be down ranked because of saying this (which is sad) - but as a content creator who works in the industry, I understand why Hollywood supports SOPA - because I wouldn't want my company's creative content (films), or mine, stolen on the internet. So I guess I support SOPA.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]thefiend1[/nom]I know im going to be down ranked because of saying this (which is sad) - but as a content creator who works in the industry, I understand why Hollywood supports SOPA - because I wouldn't want my company's creative content (films), or mine, stolen on the internet. So I guess I support SOPA.[/citation]
Please read the rest of the bill. Even you will dislike it.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Maybe if all the new music CDs, DVDs and blu-ray, and game releases were at $10, nobody would bother to download the stuff. People download because the stuff is overpriced. Hollywood has to consider the average salary when pricing their entertainment products.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Maybe if all the new music CDs, DVDs and blu-ray, and game releases were at $10, nobody would bother to download the stuff. People download because the stuff is overpriced. Hollywood has to consider the average salary when pricing their entertainment products.[/citation]

A music CD, Hollywood movie, and video game all cost different amounts to produce. I hope you don't expect them to charge the same rate for things that have completely different production costs. Again, people on the creation end do have to make some money themselves. Think of their average salaries.

You want to lower costs, cut out the middlemen. RIAA, MPAA, and other industries aren't as needed as they used to be. By removing all the overhead they take, you can cut costs. We don't need piracy, we need changes to the industry that put more profit in the artist's hands.

"thics regulations currently prohibit him from making deals with politicians up on Capitol Hill until two years after his departure." This needs to be changed from 2 years to 20. 2 years isn't even long enough for his friends on the hill to be out of office, what a pointless rule to have. Former Senators have no place lobbying.

Also, what he's really saying here is "We made our agenda way too obvious the first time. This time we have to lie to the consumer better to make them think this is for them."

Sad part is, what really stopped it was this is an election year. Next year this thing will be railroaded right through. No longer a threat of being voted out of office.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
They need to understand that making crap does't get it bought. And many people prefer to watch a movie at home on there expensive HD screen instead of going to a movie where some idiot's phone rings every 5 sec's, the two next to you keep talking during the whole movie, or heaving to sit in awkward position to see the whole screen cause you have a frigging 2m tall linebacker in front of you, and he does't have the decency to slide a bit down.

So lets recap : Theater with a bunch of distractions and sometimes smelly people or Home with some friends where you can pause and enjoy the movie .... yeah hard choice realy.
I'm not saying movie tickets are overly expensive but some of the disks are. And there are so many movies that were awesome in there trailers and after watching i just wanted my past 2h of my life back. Also Hollywood has a neck for Butchering a good book to make a crap movie out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.