Hollywood Says Court Ruling Bad, ISPs Are Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
go to hell hollywood. Or better yet start your own ISP so you can regulate it. I can see the slogan now "HOllywood Internet we regulate your internet so much, you will think you live in CHina."

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"The appeal, filed on Thursday by the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT), said that the Federal Court's ruling was "out of step" with copyright law."

Perhaps it is the copyright laws that are out of step with both society and technology? The power to produce and distribute, and thereby gain the monetary rewards from it, is no longer solely in the hands of a select few companies; but in the hands of the artists and those of everyday people, the ones who actually do the work in which these companies for so long have profited from; and to hold ISP's accountable for the actions of those pirates shows your unwillingness to do the right thing imo. So you could not go after everyone who pirates, so we will go after the ones who provide the means to do so? Right, don't punish those who actually did the deed? It was not my fault I robbed that store with a gun and shot the clerk, it was the guy who sold me the gun, punish him.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hollywood

"We'll just spend more money on lawsuits than actually addressing the problem by lowering our prices. BRILLIANT!"

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
The ruling was correct in every respect despite what RIAA, MPAA or AFACT say. The ISP should "NEVER" be held liable for what it's users do.

They want to shift the financial burden from themselves to the ISP's and the taxpayers instead of following correct law and doing/paying for the work themselves.

I praise the Australian Courts in this case. This was good law.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
iiNet is not responsible for what it's users do. No ISP needs to be playing net nanny on what it's users are doing. I know for a fact that if my ISP started censoring what I could do on the internet I would switch to another ISP, simple as that.

And AFACT can go to hell.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
This was the absolute correct ruling and ruling otherwise sets a dangerous precedent for the future of freedom everywhere. As with the recent Google Italy case, blaming a service provider instead of the culprit is terrible for everyone. Where do you draw the line? Does the transit system get punished if someone is robbed on a bus? Does Dell get punished if someone develops malware on a computer they built? This whole idea of blaming someone else has gotten ridiculously out of hand.

But we all know why the Hollywood snobs are attacking the ISPs, and it has nothing to do with the law. Making the ISPs responsible is the easiest way for Hollywood to stop piracy, as stopping individual users is unrealistic. Nothing more, nothing less. In reality it isn't the ISPs job.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I agree with the court ruling. Unfortunately it does not solve the problem. I've been reading about this for years. I doubt there is a practical solution.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well... ISPs are evil, but not for that reason. They are evil for bad service, bad prices, and little to no competition in a lot of areas.

Hollywood, MPAA, RIAA, etc shutup and make decent products, then people will buy them instead of torrenting, watching/listening once, and deleting them for being horrible.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Wouldn't isps looking at the data being sent through their servers be a virtual equivalent to the post office opening my mail and looking through it before sending it to me?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
""The case proved that nearly 90 films and television episodes were downloaded in a period of 59 weeks via iiNet's broadband service. ""

I downloaded that much this past weekend!

FU Hollywood!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]The court made the right judgement, otherwise it would be an invasion of privacy if the ISP monitors traffic content.[/citation]
I agree 100% with everyone... ISP's should not be aloud to monitor anyones downloads.
I do think with a court order police should be able to gain access on an individual basis (like a wire tap)... we can't let pedophiles get away free.

G

[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]go to hell hollywood. Or better yet start your own ISP so you can regulate it. I can see the slogan now "HOllywood Internet we regulate your internet so much, you will think you live in CHina."[/citation]
Without Holywood there'd be no movies (or at least no good ones, unless you love Japanese anime or Indian Bollywood movies)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Woah, is that true that the ISP conclucively knew that piracy was taking place?How could you know that for sure?[/citation]
Obviously the ISP monitors all traffic that goes through its network. It stores a copy of every file and email transmitted in a series of large servers taking up acres of space in various non-descript buildings operated by the NSA and various other U.S. government agencies around the country.

Oh wait, this was in Australia? Sorry, my mistake. Then I don't really know how they could know for sure.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
If they weren't frivolously spending upwards of $320 million a pop to make their movies, they wouldn't be in a financial mess to begin.

Hollywood doesn't need to worry about pirates; Tinseltown has been digging its own grave for the last decade.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Without Holywood there'd be no movies (or at least no good ones, unless you love Japanese anime or Indian Bollywood movies)[/citation]

What are you talking about? there really arnt any good ones out now. Hell I only go to the theater once a year, and am usually disappointed when I leave. I am tired of a movie coming out, all the trailers look bad ass, all the critics claim its the best movie that ever came out, Everybody says you have to see it (but for some reason everybody isnt anyone that you really talk to) You go to the theater spend 40bucks and its crap. So I save my 40 bucks download it confirm its crap, and delete it. If its not crap (which is only a couple a year) I buy it on bluray for 30 bucks.
Your friggin insane to think im going to spend 40bucks at the theater for me and my girlfriend to watch it once, and then 30 bucks on the bluray. Not only that but you throw enough drm on the damn thing that I cant rip it and put it on my media server so I can stream to my pc's and tv.
You want my money, make it easy for me to stream the movies from hard drive to whatever I want to watch it on. And quit charging so friggin much. Movies dont have to cost a half billion dollars to make. Look at star wars. Rub some petrolium jelly on the lens and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.