Solved! Home Theater Audio

Vee48

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I recently purchased a home with 5.1 in-wall speakers installed. I have connected my Sherwood 500-Watt 5.1 Dolby Digital HDMI Receiver (RD-6513) to the speaker system. Works great! Currently, I have a DVD/Blu Ray player connected to the Sherwood receiver. I want the audio from the TV to run through the Sherwood receiver, 5.1 in-wall speaker system. How do I connect my LCD wides screen (TV model AKIA LCT3701AD) to the Sherwood receiver? What cables do I need to purchase to complete the connection? Unfortunately, my operating instructions manual is not very helpful for what I want to do.

Thanks

Solution
Allright then.
With cable straight to TV your best option is the digital coax from TV to receiver. But since you aren't really getting HD you could also go with the RCA (red and white). Either way cables are cheap, coax the more expensive of the options. Your choice.

I would suggest getting HDMI for the bluray though. Even though your TV is 720P it will make a difference over the S-video. you would need two cables though. One from the bluray to the receiver (HDMI Video 1 or Video 2) and receiver (HDMI Monitor out) to TV. The good thing is that you could use whatever cable you were using for audio with the bluray as the answer to your TV situation, unless it was fiber optic. I don't see that as an output on your tv .

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi Vee48,
What you want to do is not too difficult but depends on a few things.

The easiest way would be to use the digital coax output of the TV to the digital coax input of the Sherwood. Once setup this would require you to mute the tv though (if the tv does not cancel audio to the tv speakers with the presence of the coax) or you will get a kind of echo thing going on.

Here's where all the variables come in:
1. How do you have the bluray hooked up? what cables are you using and going to where?
2. Do you have a cable/satellite set top box or Tivo? And if you do what cables and to where?

Answer those two questions and we can get more detailed.

Vee48

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

There is no cable box on this TV. Currently, the coax runs from the wall to the TV. My cable box is on a different TV, in a different room.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Allright then.
With cable straight to TV your best option is the digital coax from TV to receiver. But since you aren't really getting HD you could also go with the RCA (red and white). Either way cables are cheap, coax the more expensive of the options. Your choice.

I would suggest getting HDMI for the bluray though. Even though your TV is 720P it will make a difference over the S-video. you would need two cables though. One from the bluray to the receiver (HDMI Video 1 or Video 2) and receiver (HDMI Monitor out) to TV. The good thing is that you could use whatever cable you were using for audio with the bluray as the answer to your TV situation, unless it was fiber optic. I don't see that as an output on your tv .

Solution