home theater connect

Gabriel_54

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
hi i want to connect my home theater to my pc and get 5.1 surround.
the problem is that i dont have hdmi input on my home theater just out put so my question is will it give me 5.1 surround if i will connect my tv to the pc with hdmi cable and the home theater to the tv with optical cable?

Solution
generally no.

pc recognizes tv as 2.0 device so even if your tv and home theater support hdmi arc it likely will be 2.0.

without hdmi arc and you would get nothing.

hooking up to pc via optical you may or may not get 5.1 depending on if your pc and home theater supports 5.1 over optical and the same formats.

it sounds like you may have a home theater in a box type set. it really can be hit or miss with those and many cheaper models do not accept 5.1 input from external sources.
generally no.

pc recognizes tv as 2.0 device so even if your tv and home theater support hdmi arc it likely will be 2.0.

without hdmi arc and you would get nothing.

hooking up to pc via optical you may or may not get 5.1 depending on if your pc and home theater supports 5.1 over optical and the same formats.

it sounds like you may have a home theater in a box type set. it really can be hit or miss with those and many cheaper models do not accept 5.1 input from external sources.

Solution