Home theater receiver - Issues with using center channel only? More info in description

eldoradoe

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I have a Sony STR-DN1030 receiver and one Canton CD250 center speaker.

Problem being I don't currently have left and right channel speakers. (I am aware obviously should just go buy some, but I can't afford anything at the moment).

I can't find anything that says I can bridge or use mono mode with this receiver. However there is a mode call MULTI STEREO, which people suggest that it leaves left and right channels as they are and creates a mix of both appropriate for a center channel speaker output.

I have simply done this and set the speaker configuration to 3 channel output and just haven't connected anything to left and right channel outputs. (it sounds fine)

Question is will leaving left and right unconnected to anything this cause any damage or harm to the reciever?

any other suggestions are welcome. cheers :)

Solution
If you set the receiver to 3.1 (or the center to small) then it will work fine with no caveats.
That removes bass and send it to a sub you don't have . That protects the center channel from receiving bass it can't handle.
If you set the receiver to 3.0 (or the center to large) you will have to be careful. Now bass is going to the center channel and you could damage it if you play it too loud. It would not hurt the receiver in either case.
If you set the receiver to 3.1 (or the center to small) then it will work fine with no caveats.
That removes bass and send it to a sub you don't have . That protects the center channel from receiving bass it can't handle.
If you set the receiver to 3.0 (or the center to large) you will have to be careful. Now bass is going to the center channel and you could damage it if you play it too loud. It would not hurt the receiver in either case.

Solution