Solved! Home Theater Receiver making random buzzing noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2020
Hello all.

I have been trying to figure this issue out for weeks now, have researched anything/everything possible, and I just can't find a solution. I've looked throughout this forum and noticed people with similar problems, but they don't seem to be specific to what I'm experiencing. I really hope this is the correct forum for this question. (If it is not, please let me know and I'll re-ask in the suggested and appropriate forum).

The problem is coming from my Sony Home Theater Receiver (model: STR-DH550). The sound works just fine, but every few minutes a humming/buzzing noise will take place. Perhaps the best way to describe the noise is that it sounds like a vibration coming from inside of the receiver itself. This noise will last from anywhere between three to six seconds and then go away for about three-to-six minutes before it will once again make the buzzing/humming noise. Rinse, repeat. It does not interfere with the sound coming out of the speaker, nor does the buzzing noise get any softer or louder as I adjust the volume control.

This hum/buzz sound will take place whether all components are plugged in or just if the receiver is plugged in and turned on by itself. I've taken the top off and opened it up to see if I can figure out where the noise is coming from, but I'm just not technically savvy enough to figure it out. The sound itself comes from inside the receiver, not through the speakers. Upon my research I ran across a site that had a sound file that mimicked the humming/buzzing that I'm hearing, and the site referred to as the "60Hz hum " (I'm not sure if it's ok to submit an outside link here, but if it is and you'd like the sound example that I'm referring to I'd be glad to share).

As I mentioned above, I am a true amateur and really lack knowledge in this capacity. I hope that I've explained what I'm dealing with here in a coherent manner. If not, please let me know and I'll do my best to further explain.

I do have the plug to my receiver and TV going into a power strip. Not sure if that information is needed, but figured that I'd include it just in case.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them as I am desperate. This buzzing/humming sound is literally driving me crazy.

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

Last edited:
Solution
The mechanical "hum" you describe can be caused by a problem in the power supply or by DC on the power line.
If you can take the AVR to another location can plug it in to hear if the same problem occurs there. If it does then the problem is internal to the receiver. Could be the transformer in the power supply.
If not then there is an Emotiva filter to fix that but it's about $140.
Given the price of that receiver and it's age it makes more sense to replace it than try to fix the problem either way.
The mechanical "hum" you describe can be caused by a problem in the power supply or by DC on the power line.
If you can take the AVR to another location can plug it in to hear if the same problem occurs there. If it does then the problem is internal to the receiver. Could be the transformer in the power supply.
If not then there is an Emotiva filter to fix that but it's about $140.
Given the price of that receiver and it's age it makes more sense to replace it than try to fix the problem either way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.