Home theater with headphone jacks.

dahermit

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
I have a Panasonic Viera flat screen TV with only (of course), optical audio output (PMC optical signals), Dolby Surround Sound, to which I want to connect headphones (I am very hard of hearing...my wife is not). None of the proposed solutions on how to attach headphones to my tv have worked (Don't bother suggesting another, please.) I have contacted Panasonic and the ONLY solution they endorse is to attach a home theater via the Toslink optical cable and use the home theater's receiver's headphone output jack. The problem is, despite examining every home theater system on the shelf at my local Walmart, none seem to have the combination of, Toslink optical audio in, HDMI out, AND just as important, a headphone jack.

So, what I need is a link to Home Theater Systems that have Toslink optical audio input and an earphone output jack. Cheap would be nice inasmuch as I do not give a rip about the "quality of the sound" produced by the speakers...I am only concerned about using the headphones to watch TV and may not even connect the speakers.

have you already tried an optical digital audio extractor?
http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Digital-Analog-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00KCRYIWM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447110624&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+to+headphone
this would connect to many of the hard-of-hearing tv headphones which take a red+white rca jack that connects to the wireless base. or it can be adapted over to 3.5mm as well. wireless headphones would be ideal for tv use.

buying a home theater just for a headphone output is like buying a car just for a chair. not very good use of funds.

you were likely looking at home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) solutions. most of them have not many inputs or outputs. the cheaper ones may not have any external inputs at all other than the included dvd/br players. they likely were talking about either higher end HTIBs (some do have a few inputs) or the much more feature rich audio-video-receivers (AVR) which have tons of connections.

if you do not need it for video or audio, why does it need hdmi output? if you absolutely insist on a receiver why not just buy some cheap or used model that has optical input and headphone out jack. you can pick up a used one fairly cheap.

dahermit

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

Have tried three different digital to analog converters...none worked. That is why I specified that I was not interested in other solutions than a home theater receiver. (And, that is what Panasonic recommended to me as their only solution.) I will be looking for a used receiver but was hoping someone actually had a link to one with optical input and headphone out.

Aria1066

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
As ssdx said, I think that you may have misdirected as to the type of receiver you need. Home theater receivers with an optical input and a headphone jack are not that hard to find. I live in New Zealand and I have three receivers with those connections.