Kristofer_2

Estimable
Dec 31, 2015
For a home theatre PC, would you recommend Windows 7 or 10? (in this particular scenario, Windows MUST be used... NO other Operating Systems.)

Solution
If you're buying a new copy might as well use 10. There's no real difference between the two for HTPC use save that one is a 7 year old OS now.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
If you plan to play new, DirectX 12 games in DirectX 12 mode, your choice becomes self evident.

If you plan to use an over the air antenna to record TV, or want to use a CableCard tuner, your software of choice is Windows Media Center, and Windows 10 is out of the question.

Here's an option: Buy Windows 7, upgrade to 10 for free before the end of the month, and have the choice of both licenses.

robert600

Distinguished
I've been using Win7 in my HTPC for years - don't see any reason to mess with something that works extremely well. If you plan on playing HEVC (x265) I strongly recommend using 'potplayer' as your media player - I've mucked about with a lot of different media players and for my system at least - potplayer outperforms the others. Back in the day of x264 I liked VLC a lot but ... they totally screwed up with HEVC.