Hook up Laptop to TV

cretemaniam

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I am trying to hook up my friend's laptop to his late model HDTV . I was surprised to find that it has no HDMI port , or there would be no prob . But it just has the composite 3 plugs . No prob to find this hdmi to composite cable . on Amazon , but now I see they have hdmi to tv adaptors as well . Cant I just use the cable ? Or is an adaptor needed ? Don't want to fry anything ! Any help greatly thanked !

Solution
{ I assume you mean the TV lacks an HDMI port? This is rare but that seems to be the way you have described it}

If so I think you want an hdmi to 'component' cable /adapter (red, green and blue rca jacks) and not composite cables (yellow, red, white) which are inferior.
The hdmi to component is will output 720p VIDEO to the TV and that should work well for watching movies but less well for other computer things because you will be limited to 720p.. To get AUDIO you will need a separate cable/adapter that takes a headphone out jack from the laptop and has dual red and white audio inputs for the TV. You are not going to fry anything messing with audio/video ports.

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
{ I assume you mean the TV lacks an HDMI port? This is rare but that seems to be the way you have described it}

If so I think you want an hdmi to 'component' cable /adapter (red, green and blue rca jacks) and not composite cables (yellow, red, white) which are inferior.
The hdmi to component is will output 720p VIDEO to the TV and that should work well for watching movies but less well for other computer things because you will be limited to 720p.. To get AUDIO you will need a separate cable/adapter that takes a headphone out jack from the laptop and has dual red and white audio inputs for the TV. You are not going to fry anything messing with audio/video ports.

Solution

cretemaniam

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

cretemaniam

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Yes Dude that is correct , his tv has no hdmi , vga , or anything but the plugs , and this is a late model , big expensive tv . Weird . Anyway , guess I had the lingo wrong and these are called component cables and not composite . Thanks for the clarification on that and the rest of it . And he will only be doing movies , so should be fine . Best news is I won't fry anything in this endeavor . Thanks again !

cretemaniam

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Yes , once you told me that i will need a white and red audio line , it dawned on me from the pics on amazon that they make an all in one . But before I talked to you , I would have never known S from S about it , so thanks alot , from myself and my friend . This is all for him anyway , and my friend is not too savvy , we have been doing this over the phone , as we live far apart , and he is unable to even send me a pic of the port panel on the tv , so it has been a trial ! So thanks for the follow up Dude !