Horizontal red lines and won’t startup

tmleafs515

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
My MacBook Pro 2011 is having an issue where when I turn it on, there will be faint red horizontal lines all over the screen. Also the mac will not startup and the progress bar will only reach about 25% then freeze. If you are aware of a solution to this issue please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 29, 2018
I've had the exact same thing happen to my MBP 15 inch late 2011 today. So frustrating. There was some kind of repair program for this problem but it has been discontinued. I called Apple and they essentially told me I was 'unlucky' and then I called an authorised Apple repair store in London (where I'm based) who told me they get several calls a week regarding this problem with 2011 MBPs and that it is a faulty logic board and there's nothing they can do.

Unbelievable.

Tkennedy1993

Estimable
May 26, 2015

Yes, I have ran into this issue several times and it is very unfortunate. The only option left is to upgrade or purchase a new laptop.

Mar 29, 2018
Tkennedy1993, it just seems so unreasonable on Apple's behalf. Surely if they identify a manufacturing problem they should notify everyone with a machine that might be affected. The fact they placed a cut off point on when they were willing to address the issue is ridiculous. Surely if a machine breaks down at any point, due to a manufacturing fault that had been identified, they should fix it for free. The fact that when a MBP becomes 'vintage', in their books, after 5 years, is just a way for them to wash their hands of it and not offer a good after sale service. I've looked after my laptop since the day I got it and it was working fine, now, through no fault of my own, but because of a manufacturing fault that had been identified and I wasn't made aware of, I have to spend hundreds if not over 1000 pounds on a new laptop.

Do you think I might have any joy if I went into an apple store and kicked off a bit? I've left feedback on the Apple site but feeling pretty hopeless and completely frustrated in all honesty.

Cowboys!

Apr 24, 2018

I have this same computer. Logic board was replaced twice by Apple under the repair program and it was stable for another 2 years. Over last six months it is degrading again. 3 months ago took it back into Apple and was able to revive it and they suggested replacing the battery which I did. That seems to have helped but we are still experiencing this behavior 2 times in the last 4 weeks. SMC and PRAM resets did nothing. Mysteriously the one thing that seems to revive this computer is starting the MacBook in Target Disk Mode. Simply holding down the T key and waiting for the screen to turn on and then powering it off and on again has resulted in the computer booting normally.

Agree it is disappointing that Apple is not treating this issue properly. This specific model is not holding up as well as all other models they sell.

May 22, 2018
Hello, Somewhat comforting to know this isn't only happening to me, as unfortunate as it is for all of us who are having to deal with it. I have the same problem, tried rebooting while holding down the option key, now I am trying with "T" but as yet nothing has helped. Maybe a class action suit against Apple? This would be the third one that I know of. If anyone finds a solution that is simpler and works, I would love to hear about it. Good luck.,

Aug 21, 2018
Hi! can you resolved this problem? because i´m still trying

Sep 20, 2018

I have a MBP Late 2012 Model and the same thing has started happening to me too! :fou:
I have done all the Remove Mem and PRAM and reset, remove Batt, Cmd and R etc etc......Really Frustrating as I have just purchased Adobe CC for the Mac and have been using this for my photography!!! More money down the drain. Apple are the worst in looking after their customers. "Apple throwaway society".......Maybe a Class action suit would be a good idea...!

Jan 9, 2019

As an IT Engineer, coming from PC world, where there was constant trouble with Software, Hardware, Virus, all the drivers who were overwritten by new programs or doesn't fit and the system did get unstable after half a year. All the reformatting and reinstall I did know in the PC world, did stop when I did buy my first Mac in 2009. One first install, then automatic update and never ever one second I did experience any trouble.
So much time I did spent in the PC world since the early 1980s, without any Class action agains Microsoft or HP or Dell or IBM. They still have not solved the most simple problems like finding a printer / scanner or phone and is often a huge source of frustration amongst our students - whilst with Mac non of the problems occur at all.

But now on my MacBook Pro from 2009 pink flickering stripes showed up on the white surfaces in all Apps. Not on the white startup screen, not on an external screen. It is ok when this Macbook Pro is cold, but after starting up, the problems occurs slightly. So it must be something to do with the expansion of metal when the laptop is getting warm... Did only look for a quick solution here - but only get frustration and blaming.
Starting a class action against Apple, after 10 years of perfect operation is perhaps a bit stingy and making very high demands, compared to all the other computers and stuff we buy.