How accurate is CPUID HWMONITOR exactly? (showing unusually high cpu frequencies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2018
Is CPUID's HWMONITOR program accurate for cpu frequency? Because I'm getting some rather strange values (6036MHz across all cores, except core 8 running at 6126MHz)

This is on a Ryzen 7 2700 without any overclocking applied (i.e everything's set to auto for now - I have plans on overclocking but I haven't had the time to play with it yet), surely 6GHz can't be an accurate stock clockrate to reach without at least upping the multiplier or fsb freq?

I've not even run any synthetic tests (e.g prime95 burn in), just some gaming and video streaming so I wouldn't expect these mildly ludicrous clocks.

I wanted to use open harwdare monitor but it refused to give me any temperature readings (or indeed ANY readings) for the ryzen 7 2700.

Is there some known accuracy issue with HWMONITOR or does ryzen just turbo up into 6GHz+ without overclocking with adequate cooling? (for reference: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4)

krz0rk1.png

Solution
No it won't boost up to 6 GHz. It's definitely a bug. You'll need LN2 or liquid helium to bring that CPU over 5 GHz.
You can try HWinfo to monitor your system.

ChumP

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
No it won't boost up to 6 GHz. It's definitely a bug. You'll need LN2 or liquid helium to bring that CPU over 5 GHz.
You can try HWinfo to monitor your system.

Solution
Oct 25, 2018
Yeah that's what I was thinking, that just didn't seem right - 5GHz I can buy. 5.2GHz even, I'd buy that. But 6.1 just doesn't sound right at 1.4V with no fsb or multiplier overclock on air cooling.

Thanks for verifying that I hadn't lived under a rock so long 6GHz on air had become viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.