How are random logins appearing on my computer?

Darren Cook

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
A few weeks ago I noticed random emails stored in my login history when I was logging into facebook a few weeks ago (emails that I never seen before), but I assumed they must have had to do with my brother (he's the only other person who ever used my computer before) and forgot about it.

Today, I went to login into a school website on my computer, that allows you to view your grades on assignments and stuff like that. Several more emails appeared, and inaddition password information, so I was able to access other peoples accounts. Some I don't know, others were acquaintances.

This is very strange. I should not have access to random login information and Im fearful that somehow others might be getting my login info. What is happening?

Solution
that's a possibility. i don't use google so did not consider it. on the same token, MS account might do the same type thing.

i have logged into my MS account on other people's win 10 pc and it put my background slideshow and start menu tile set-up into place. i don't recall asking MS to remember such things but clearly they have uploaded a bunch of things i did not think they would since my backgrounds are stored on my pc yet all 100+ pics are cycling on my friends pc until i went back to his account.

at least this is not a very evil sounding answer you found. only need to be careful and log out of things when you walk away from the PC at school. makes you wonder if anyone else may have done this on accident or even on purpose. i'd...

Darren Cook

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
When I log into facebook for example, it has my email and my brother's email as options to select, since we logged into the computer before. There are also several other emails that popped up, that we do not know of. It's like when you check the "remember me" box, it remembers your login info, except its not ours.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
that would mean someone else logged into the website from your pc. it's the only way it can happen.

on the public school pc, it's easy to get a bunch like that since many people use it and likely log into the same sites as other users.

Darren Cook

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015

Math Geek, thats the strange part. Its not a public pc, its a pc in my bedroom, that only I use (my brother on occasion). I live in close proximity to the school (a block or two), could that affect it at all?

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
no, someone would have to be sitting at your pc typing into it to get those entries into the browser auto-fill memory.

run a virus/malware scan just in case and then delete all the auto-fill entries to get rid of it all. if they come back, then you know something fishy is going on. but i don't know of any way to get those there without being on the pc in question.

Darren Cook

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015

Thats what I figured, but I assure you it is happening. As I mentioned, I have the login information for our school's gradebook website for a girl in my class, I have her email and password (the password is blocked out, but I can still access her account).

And I am 100% positive she was never in my house, in my room, or on my computer. Are you sure there are not any other known cases of this happening? Should I contact microsoft? I am worried that my login credentials might be vulnerable as well.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
obviously there is a way since it is happening but i have no idea how. somehow things are getting crossed over the network connection but not in any way i am aware of. i'll keep my thoughts working on it and see if i can come up with anything. you could also ask your school's tech support if they have any idea what might be happening since it involves a school program. they may have some insight from their perspective that i am not aware of.

Darren Cook

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015

If youre interested, somebody on Reddit gave an answer that seems very likely.

I must have signed into my google account on a school computer, then my google account stored and synced other people's login info to my personal computer.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
that's a possibility. i don't use google so did not consider it. on the same token, MS account might do the same type thing.

i have logged into my MS account on other people's win 10 pc and it put my background slideshow and start menu tile set-up into place. i don't recall asking MS to remember such things but clearly they have uploaded a bunch of things i did not think they would since my backgrounds are stored on my pc yet all 100+ pics are cycling on my friends pc until i went back to his account.

at least this is not a very evil sounding answer you found. only need to be careful and log out of things when you walk away from the PC at school. makes you wonder if anyone else may have done this on accident or even on purpose. i'd still bring it up to your school's network people so they can maybe step in and prevent it from happening to others with some network policy they can enable.

Solution