How can I check if I was hacked in the past few hours?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I was threatened by someone that he would hack my computer a few hours ago. It is the first time in my life to get those threatened. He is not asking for money (which is probably scammed), because of that , I am so worried.

I am using Windows 7 Home and I don't have any firewall installed. I have Avira AV installed.

1. How to check if there was any suspicious traffic / attack to my computer in the last few hours

2. Is it stupid to let the computer ON and connected to the internet for 24 hours. I am used to downloading things and listening to youtube soft sleeping music as I sleep.

3. Is it safe enough to keep important document on Google Drive, access them online and do not download them to hard drives, logging out the Google Drive when they are not used?

Or is it much better to do it with encrypted USB stick?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

My default windows firewall was enabled. But I don't know if it's good enough for most attacks... unless he is an advanced hacker or gov inspector (the latter case is highly unlikely) I don't want to guess and I think it's meaningless to guess if he is fake or not.

I wish to know if there are any software / tool that can help check for any suspicious traffic for the past few hours or days