How can I clear a forgotten HDD password in a Gateway Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tssfla12

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014
I am locked out of my Gateway laptop, the Supervisor and user passwords are clear, but the HDD requires a password I don't remember. I found instructions online suggesting I set a supervisor password, reboot and then clear the supervisor password and then reboot once again. After that it states I should be able to clear the HDD password. But when I go back in to the BIOS once I have set and cleared the supervisor password, it is still asking me for this HDD password that is long forgotten.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Solution
Sorry, but we can't really help you as bypassing passwords is against the rules of the forum :(
This is because we have no way of telling if the device is stolen.

EDIT: You should take it to the place you bought it from and provide proof that you own it, then they should unlock it for you.

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Sorry, but we can't really help you as bypassing passwords is against the rules of the forum :(
This is because we have no way of telling if the device is stolen.

EDIT: You should take it to the place you bought it from and provide proof that you own it, then they should unlock it for you.

Solution

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi
The ATA standard (which also covers sata drives)
Specifies a special ATA command which does a low level format which wipes the drive before clearing the on disk password
The password is held on the hard disk not the motherboard
The drive can not be accessed without entering the password
It might be cheaper to buy a new hard disk than pay a professional or PC dealer to clear the password , you then know you have a new hard drive possibly with a few years guarantee

Regards
Mike Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.