How can i convince my friend iphone 5, samsung galaxy s3 are good phon

sskeleton10

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
my friend says smart phones are a joke. my friend has a cheap azz prepaid phone, forgot whats its called in at&t. he says you have to be a total idiot like me to own a galaxy s3. he says it doesnt stand out,and the extra games, facebook applications, music, gp3 you can play on your computer and buy a gps. he says there is nothing special about them, it doesnt stand out. he says its stupid to get a new iphone 5,galaxy s3 just because you can use fascebook, youtube, find parking. he says the phones weigh a lot, are hard to use, and the screen is small which can hurt your eyes. he says nothing about those phones stand out , and only idiots like me bought one.
7 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
he says the apps are very crappy and arent worth lots of money to just buy the phone

Smartphones are not for everyone if he is dead set against getting a smartphone then perhaps it is going to be impossible to do so. His reluctance could actually come from costs. Smartphone costs a lot more money than a typical pre-paid phone and they also cost a lot of money on a monthly basis. For example, the most basic pre-paid phone VerizonWireless has cost $20 (Samsung Gusto) and goes up to $85 (LG Revere). He can then add minutes to his phone for $0.25 per minute. That's actually a bit expensive, AT&T allows you to buy minutes for as low as $0.10 per minute. When you use up your minutes, then just add more.

The iPhone 5 costs anywhere from $199 to $399 depending on how much RAM. The Samsung Galaxy III costs $199 - $249, also depending on the amount of RAM. Then comes the monthly cost of the plan. I'm not going to bother figuring out the prices for current plans, but I currently pay about $72 per month for my Verizon Droid. That's for 450 minutes, 500 text messages and unlimited data. $72 is with my 19% corporate discount, otherwise it would be around $94.

The best argument for smartphones is that they are multifunctional devices, and it can save money if the smartphone replaces other devices that he may use. If he drives, then he does not have to buy a GPS device, he can simply use the smartphone. Of course he can always go "old school", by simply whipping out a map. If he listens to music / watch videos, then he does not need to buy a separate portable media player device.

Other than that it's all about the convenience of apps. If no apps appeals to him and / or the screen is too small for him to use them comfortably, then so be it.

As a friend, the best thing you can do is just respect his opinion about smartphones and move on. Smartphones are not the be all, end all in life.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If he was to get a smart phone. Get the Nexus 4. Best phone on the planet and will be first in line for any new updates.

If he plays emulator games: Nexus
If he's using Google services like Maps, Gmail, Google+, Drive: Nexus
If he wants to RDP to his computers: Nexus
If he doesn't want shutter lag on his camera phone: Nexus
Flash support: Nexus (with some custom configurations)
Free WiFi Tethering: Nexus
Better battery life: Nexus
Bigger screen: Nexus

I went on vacation with only my GNex and was able to remote/SSH in to do almost everything at work.