How can i enable fan control in AMD Overdrive?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I just downloaded AMD Overdrive today incase i want to overclock my AMD A10-6800k or even my new GTX 660 SC if possible, either of which not right now. Anyways, i also heard you can change your fans' speeds which i wanted to do right now. I open up Overdrive and go to the Fan Control section only to find everything is grayed out and i cant change anything. It shows i have 4 fans supposedly (FAN0, FAN1, FAN2, FAN3). I dont know if even that is right because i only have one stock case fan and the stock cpu fan(heatsink?), unless it also counts the fan built onto the gpu and the fan built into my Corsair CX430M psu? Anyways, how can i enable the fan control option? Any help here? Comment if you also have the same problem or how you fixed it. Thanks!

Solution

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Im pretty sure i have all of these or i can access them in the BIOS before i boot. All except for probably Fast Boot (unless its already like built in or automatically installs) and Super Charger because it doesnt do anything for me

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Well if you have this utility installed just open it up and go to town! It has tons of options to manage fan speeds, and your CPU speeds. Its basically a simplifed OverClocking tool. I know mine (ASUS Sabertooth 990FX) allows me to control each fan in the case (I got 4) plus the CPU fan. I can set each one to have their own curve so as the system gots hot it will ramp up and come down as needed.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Wait, which utility would that be from the downloads section? i dont think i have that application downloaded.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I suggest you download all of them, because they all offer something that your motherboard vendor (MSI) thinks is important. But if you want the OC utility you want to pick up the one called Control Center.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Alright, im kinda hesitant to download them all because chances are ill forget which they are when i might have to uninstall them if i get a new board, which i might do so sometime soon i hope. It would probably be an ASRock 990FX Extreme4 board btw

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Why a Sabertooth? Which particular model would you recommend btw? I really like the AsRock board i listed because of the features, 3 PCI-E slots, 4 RAM slots, gold caps for long life, etc etc

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Well your A10 doesnt support either of the boards so you will have to get a new CPU as well. If thats the case these are the 2 I would recommend:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3947170&CatId=7246
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904561&CatId=7339

By the way, the Sabertooth 990FX has a industry leading 5 year warranty on the whole board. The next best is 3 year warranty. Plus just so you dont get too hyped up into ASrock's advertising... If its a 990FX board it supports 4 PCI x16 slots (the fact that ASrock only gives you 3 tells me they are only about 75% of what they should be). The part of the motherboard that matters is the northbridge chipset, that is what controls its functionability.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Oh i forgot to say i would be getting either an FX 6300 or 8320. So what specifically is better about that Sabertooth board instead of the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ? just for some info

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Well, the 5 year warranty. The fact that the motherboard has a MUCH better VRM design so it will deliver MUCH better overclocking. It has 4 PCI-e x16 slots. The onboard audio is a much better chipset. The onboard LAN also is a much better chipset. It offers more SATA ports. Plus it has the ability to support faster (and more types) of RAM. Not to mention its made by ASUS, which is the world record holder in Overclocking on both the AMD and Intel platforms. Simply put ASUS is the cream of the crop, if yo uwant the best, you want ASUS.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Sounds better, but i just dont know if i need all that, especialy since its more expensive. I wont be overclocking likely, I only will need like 3 or 4 SATA ports at the most, i use only 1866Mhz ram, 3 PCI-E ports is more than enough for me, audio always sounds the same to me lol. Dont get me wrong, im not bashing it, im not a fanboy for anything, i just dont see the need for those extra things, the higher price makes the decision here for me mostly as well

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Its worth your lifes savings. Trust me... lol

Solution