How can I fix my glitchy HP laptop trackpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorganite

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
I recently purchased a HP 250 G6 i5 Laptop on Windows 10 and I have been having some problems with the trackpad recently. I don't know if I had these issues when I first got the laptop but it is slowly becoming an annoying thing.

Essentially at times the trackpad will do its own thing. I might be scrolling on a video to forward it and the mouse will go down to the bottom of the screen or near the windows icon on the bottom left. Or I might be doing a two finger swipe to go up or down a page and again the mouse will go in the actual mouse icon will usually go to the bottom.

I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for this, if I explained it properly

Thanks

Gorganite

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Gorganite : "How can I fix my glitchy or faulty trackpad (touchpad) on my laptop"

I recently purchased a HP 250 G6 i5 Laptop on Windows 10 and I have been having some problems with the trackpad recently. I don't know if I had these issues when I first got the laptop but it is slowly becoming an annoying thing.

Essentially at times the trackpad will do its own thing. I might be scrolling on a video to forward it and the mouse will go down to the bottom of the screen or near the windows icon on the bottom left. Or I might be doing a two finger swipe to go up or down a page and again the mouse will go in the actual mouse icon will usually go to the bottom.

I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for this, if I explained it properly

Thanks

Jun 19, 2018
This is a known hardware problem with HP trackpads. I have an HP Envy with the same issue. I tried driver solutions with no luck. For awhile I had simply disabled the trackpad and used an external mouse, until a recent teardown of the laptop for other reasons prompted a second look. What seems to have worked wonders for me was isolating the trackpad electrically - removing all grounding tape and also isolating the mouse button from the metal bar above it with electrical tape. Other folks have had luck loosening the screws or replacing the trackpad, but I personally think all of this converges on a grounding issue, which would make sense if essentially we are dealing with "false positives" or trackpad oversensitivity. I did also clean the trackpad with solvents, but the problems were unresolved until I removed both of the bits of grounding tape and isolated the mouse button.

Status
Not open for further replies.