How can i get 5.1 surround sound from my TV?

Midssa

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
How can i get 5.1 surround sound from my TV? I have a LG blue ray player and it has only HDMI out and COAXIAL out. I connect blue ray player to the TV via HDMI cable. My sound bar system has only OPTICAL AUDIO input. TV has OPTICAL output, COAXIAL output and RCA output. How can i get 5.1 surround sound from my sound bar system?

Solution
Is your "soundbar" 5.1? Does it have separate surround speakers?
If so then check that you TV will output in 5.1 surround (usually called bitstream). This will be an option in the TV audio menu.
If it does then connect the BD player to the TV with HDMI. Connect the soundbar to the TV optical output. You may have to turn the optical output on and turn the TV speakers off. Check the TV manual on how to use the optical output.
Select the optical input on the soundbar. You will now get surround sound on anything that plays on the TV if it is surround encoded. If not then select a surround mode on the soundbar for a 2 channel source.
If the TV won't output in 5.1 then you will need an HDMI audio extractor or input selector to provide a...
Is your "soundbar" 5.1? Does it have separate surround speakers?
If so then check that you TV will output in 5.1 surround (usually called bitstream). This will be an option in the TV audio menu.
If it does then connect the BD player to the TV with HDMI. Connect the soundbar to the TV optical output. You may have to turn the optical output on and turn the TV speakers off. Check the TV manual on how to use the optical output.
Select the optical input on the soundbar. You will now get surround sound on anything that plays on the TV if it is surround encoded. If not then select a surround mode on the soundbar for a 2 channel source.
If the TV won't output in 5.1 then you will need an HDMI audio extractor or input selector to provide a surround sound output for the soundbar.

Solution

Midssa

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
I checked my TV and it hasn't bitstream option. Then i decide to go to second option HDMI audio input selector. As i feel it will be the better way to solve my problem. Thank you very much for your kind support.