How can I get my Roku Express+ to run audio through the soundbar

Jul 19, 2018
Mitsubishi WDY577 and WoHome S11 soundbar and Roku Express+

I am trying to set up my soundbar to run audio through the soundbar. I have a DirecTV Genie, and I have the optical cable running from the Genie to the soundbar since the TV does not have an optical connector, so now when I turn off the internal TV speakers, the audio runs through the soundbar,. Now I want to have the Roku Express+ also run the audio through the soundbar. The Roku has its HDMI plugged into an HDMI port on the back of the TV, and it works when I set the Input, and use the internal speakers. When I turn on the soundbar, turn off the TV speakers, and access the Roku, I can see the picture, but the audio is from the TV channel that was on when I switched the input. I have to turn off the soundbar and turn on the TV speakers in order to watch Netflix or YouTube. What setting do I need to change to tell the soundbar to use the proper input?

Solution
You can upload pics to somewhere like: https://imgbb.com/

And link to it here.

From the info I can find, the red/white end should go in the TV and the 3.5mm end into "AUX2" on the soundbar.
The only native way to do this, would be to use the Coax audio output on the TV and run that to the Coax audio input on the soundbar.

Connect everything (Roku, DirecTV etc) directly to the TV. Then whatever is playing on the TV, will play from the soundbar.

Jul 19, 2018

Where is the Coax Audio Output on this TV? There is nothing labeled as that on the back of the TV. There is a Digital Audio Output connector - is that the Coax connection? There is also something called AVR Audio Output that appears to need a red and white connector.

Jul 19, 2018
I don't think the Digital Audio Out is Coax - at least it does not appear to be the same as the cable connector (the connection that brings the cable into the house).

I tried the 3.5 mm aux, but my TV does not have a Headphone Jack, so I tried the Digital Audio Out, which I know is incorrect since the Digital and analog don't mix. If the red and white end is supposed to go to the soundbar - where does the other end go?

The analog audio "out" could go to the 3.5mm jack..... I can't find an image of the outputs from the TV to help any more than that though.

Can you post a pic?

Coax is the Digital Audio "out" on the TV and can go to the soundbar - you'd need the correct cable though.

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Digital-Audio-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B01D5H8TS4?th=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_38mw7z202h_e

That's the one common output/input between the two devices.

Or, you could go from Coax out on the TV, to Toslink "in" (the digital audio on the soundbar you're currently using) .... but those require more niche cables/adapters, which would get substantially more expensive.

Jul 19, 2018

Jul 19, 2018
I have a picture, but I don't know how to post it here. The analog audio OUT has a red and white output, and the soundbar has a red and white input. The included 3.5mm cable has red and white connectors on one end that I'm told need to go into the soundbar. The other end has only one connector, and I have no idea where it goes. If I need to buy a Coax cable, I guess I can do that.