How can I hook up my old Sony 5.1 AV Receiver, Sony Mini Disc, Sony DVD Player, HD Set Top Box with Samsung HDTV

Udipt Singh

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
I have Sony 5.1 AV Receiver with no HDMI ports but Digital Coaxial and Digital Optical ports, I need to hook up all Sony AV Receiver, Sony Mini Disc, Sony DVD Player, HD Set Top Box with Samsung UA55F8000 HDTV (UN55F8000 American Version)? By the way do I have to use so called All in HDMI Converter box to hook all these? I'm using Bose Acoustimas 10 II speakers. Can you suggest me please.

Solution
Connect the DVD and the set top box to the TV via HDMI. You can then connect the TV to the receiver via optical audio. The MD player being audio only can be connected directly to the receiver.
An alternative is to use digital connections from the set top box and the DVD to the receiver instead of the optical cable from the TV. Sometimes this is physically easier to do.
You may want to run a video out from the receiver to the TV so that you can access the on screen menus of the receiver. Composite video is fine for this.
Connect the DVD and the set top box to the TV via HDMI. You can then connect the TV to the receiver via optical audio. The MD player being audio only can be connected directly to the receiver.
An alternative is to use digital connections from the set top box and the DVD to the receiver instead of the optical cable from the TV. Sometimes this is physically easier to do.
You may want to run a video out from the receiver to the TV so that you can access the on screen menus of the receiver. Composite video is fine for this.

Solution

Mick- Jagger

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

Mick- Jagger

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
Hey audio,would you mind helping me with my problem as it looks from here that you might have the answer for me!^^....please!!and thanks....my question ive just posted...