How can I remove a tripped pentalobe screw out of a Macbook Air laptop?

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I tried to take out a pentalobe screw with my pentalobe screwdriver but I found it real hard, I eventually stripped it. The screw was tripped in the "drive" (meaning the cut into the screw’s head into which the screwdriver bit fits when driving the screw into a surface).

I'm working at a macintosh workshop on an apprenticeship. My boss extracted it using a screwdriver, but the hole was wrecked, so a new screw couldn't be fitted in. I wonder if there's some way to avoid this happening again. What's the best way to remove tripped screws.

Any expert advice?

reedo_43

Distinguished
I play a lot with rc helis and buggies and this happens often. Although they usually use hex screws. I have always used a dremel and a cutting wheel to cut a slot in the head and then remove with a slotted screw driver.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks for your answer but I guess you cannot use a dremel here because the screw is sank, the bolt is not sticking out.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Here's a solution:
Next time you have a badly tripped screw you can try this: dip the tip of the screwdriver into metal glue (metal epoxy), press it on the screw and let it cure for 24h. It's stronger than superglue. You may have to sacrifice the screwdriver because screw may get solidly bonded with the screwdriver, but that's cheaper than having to replace an expensive parts, this pentalobe screwdriver was bad anyway, that's why I tripped that screw.
I managed to remove the screw from the tip but it was hard.
ou1nenK.jpg

5Ya9G85.jpg
I3V65h5.jpg