how can i set my j1 to save to my sd card

Solution
Well that depends on what you are actually trying to save to the SD card (photos, videos, music, data, apps, etc.), what device you are using and also what version of android.

If you are trying to just save photos and music to the card, that is much easier to do. That is what the cards are actually for. You can also set many apps (for photos, music, videos, etc.), in their settings, to save say your photos directly to the card and not to the phone. Many apps give you the option to save their content to the SD card within the apps settings.

How to directly do it, will depend on your device. Different brands and OS versions have different ways. However with most device, the simplest way is to plug your phone into a computer via USB...
Well that depends on what you are actually trying to save to the SD card (photos, videos, music, data, apps, etc.), what device you are using and also what version of android.

If you are trying to just save photos and music to the card, that is much easier to do. That is what the cards are actually for. You can also set many apps (for photos, music, videos, etc.), in their settings, to save say your photos directly to the card and not to the phone. Many apps give you the option to save their content to the SD card within the apps settings.

How to directly do it, will depend on your device. Different brands and OS versions have different ways. However with most device, the simplest way is to plug your phone into a computer via USB. Then move the files from one directory to another. This would also give you the opportunity to save copies to the computer, so you don't lost them should the phone be lost, stolen, damaged, etc.

Now as to moving apps, to run from the SD card. Some will. If you go into "Settings" then "Apps" and click on the individual app, you should see a "Move to SD Card" button, or similar wording. If it is grayed out, you can't move that app. If it isn't, then you can move it to the card, and run it from the card.

The only OS, at the moment, that can make a SD Card actually "Internal" storage rather than "External" is Marshmallow. If you aren't running that, then you are stuck with the options above.

Solution