How can I use the the mic that comes with the earbuds instead of using the laptop mic and NOT use the laptop mic?

Mar 11, 2018
My Earbuds come with a mic but i'm not able to use it when plugged in my laptop.

and NO i don't need a 2-in-1 cable or anything. My earbud jack has 4 metal sections and 3 black divider things and comes with ONE jack that is for BOTH mic and headphones.

EDIT: Here's the link for the earbuds. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-Extra-Earbud-Headset/dp/B00JRD13T8/ref=nav_ya_signin?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519261670&sr=1-8&keywords=earbuds&

Solution
Well first you need to have a jack that is a DUAL one. Input/output. If yours is input or output only, then what you are doing won't work. Also, there is the possibility that even if it is a dual jack that it won't work, some of them just are not well built.

If the problem is that you don't have a dual one, or have one that isn't working properly, then you will need to either get it fixed (if not working correctly) or get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through USB.

Note: having the jack changed out from an input to input/output wouldn't work as more than likely the device doesn't have the ability to connect a microphone as well to an individual jack.
Well first you need to have a jack that is a DUAL one. Input/output. If yours is input or output only, then what you are doing won't work. Also, there is the possibility that even if it is a dual jack that it won't work, some of them just are not well built.

If the problem is that you don't have a dual one, or have one that isn't working properly, then you will need to either get it fixed (if not working correctly) or get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through USB.

Note: having the jack changed out from an input to input/output wouldn't work as more than likely the device doesn't have the ability to connect a microphone as well to an individual jack.

Solution