How do I best connect yamaha rxv3900 (Non ARC capable) to samsung 4ktv

maxi33

Commendable
May 23, 2016
This is probably a novice question but I need to ask it.

I have a Samsung UA55HU9000 and am wanting to connect to a Yamaha RXV3900 receiver which is non ARC capable.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best connection options to ensure that I am able to get the full benefit of Dolby 5.1 etc through external speakers?

maxi33

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Thanks for that, however when I connect using either through the ARC hdmi or with a toslink optical I seem to be only getting the choice of outputting PCM or DTS Neo 2:5 on the sound options page. Dolby is still grayed out. In either case any settings that I make on the audio screen have no impact on the actual sound being produced through the external speakers.
Does this mean that any settings on the TV are overridden when connected to an amp via ARC?
Is it possible to use another HDMI (not the designated ARC) to establish a connection with the amp? I guess you can see that what I really want is to ensure that whenever a digital signal is output from the tv that I get the full benefit of the digital sound via my home theatre. Sorry if this sounds complicated.