Solved! How do I direct wire USB device/plug inside wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markc1999

Estimable
Nov 13, 2018
I have several USB powered devices I would rather eliminate the visible wire and plug, including a Wyze Cam. Right now all I can picture is simply connecting house wires to the plug ends and putting that all in the wall, splicing into an existing line. Obviously, wouldnt be up to code.
Either that or essentially put an outlet INSIDE the wall (instead of showing) that I simply plug the device in to like normal. Then wire that plug into the existing house wires like any other outlet. Perhaps putting that in small electrical box to code as well.
But, I'd much prefer it if I could eliminate jerry-rigging something or adding an outlet inside. All I can find right now is stuff to direct wire USB plugs into your car.
Any help would be appreciated

Thinking about it more I pictured another way, but again kinda jerry-rigged.. essentially use a female plug/extension cord.. plug it into that and connect that thing's wires to my home wiring. Again, probably not code.

After watching some videos, If i dont get a reply with something for this, I think what Im going to do is either the plug/extension or putting an outlet/junction box inside. I can use a female plug & wire, then use a junction box to splice that into the wiring. Or, just do the outlet inside like i mention, and maybe add a cover to it to protect it?

It just seems to me like there would be a product for this. With all the countless permanant electrical devices people have these days (both standard and usb plug in... my god do i have a ton of USB powered devices.. hello, NES, SNES, Genesis, and Playstation classics?) I' would think there would be an easy mention to change these into direct wire (with of course some basic ability). They are all over the place for light fixtures..

Last edited:

markc1999

Estimable
Nov 13, 2018
Well I wound up going to lowes and buying a bunch of options. I then realized i was imagining way more space to work because of the videos i was watching. In reality, im dealing with thick beadboard I'd rather not try to remove to get to the inside of the wall... or make holes in. So im drilling a hole straight down thru the sill, into the wall above the existing outlet box. I'll splice in there I guess... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.