Solved! How do I format the C drive? I have formatted D drive ok

markm12345

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hi there.
I have an Acer 5101 laptop with 2 drives. I have bought windows 7. I managed to install this on the D drive having reformatted it 1st. Now I wish to do the same on the C drive, but it says I'm unable to do that.
I have a load of files and programs on the C drive that I want to remove, but am unable to locate them using control panel - as it looks directly in the D drive.
Any ideas how I can wipe the C drive clean and install windows 7 on there too?

Thanks for any ideas.

Mark

Solution
Hello markm12345;

Your programs installed on C: drive aren't registered as programs in your Win7 install on D: drive.
Using Control Panel to uninstall programs on C: drive isn't going to work for that reason.

At the Windows 7 Start Menu, type computer into the Search bar at the bottom.
Choose Computer from the Programs section. Click on your C: drive to look around and make sure there
are no personal files or data you want to save.

If you want to format the C: you can do it from the Computer screen. Just right mouse click on the C: drive and choose Format.

What do you plan for a Windows 7 install on drive C: and drive D:

Hello markm12345;

Your programs installed on C: drive aren't registered as programs in your Win7 install on D: drive.
Using Control Panel to uninstall programs on C: drive isn't going to work for that reason.

At the Windows 7 Start Menu, type computer into the Search bar at the bottom.
Choose Computer from the Programs section. Click on your C: drive to look around and make sure there
are no personal files or data you want to save.

If you want to format the C: you can do it from the Computer screen. Just right mouse click on the C: drive and choose Format.

What do you plan for a Windows 7 install on drive C: and drive D:

Solution

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
If you are still booting from the C: drive you cannot format it while it is in use also called mounted. You could try creating a ubuntu live disc, booting into a live session with the disk, and use the g-parted utility that it comes with for formatting the C: drive

message me if you have any questions about making or using the live cd

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Windows is notorious for leaving files all over the place. Most likely even if you installed a new copy of Win7 on the D: drive you are still using the boot loader and probably even some of the OS boot files from the C: drive. Therefore when you try and format the C: drive it won't let you. If you really want to start over I would recommend using a program like kill disk (just search it) to completely wipe the hard drive since reformatting really doesn't erase any files it just prepares the drive to be written.

At the very least you should find a OS independent program that can format and partition your HDDs (GParted, Acronis, PartitionMagic all of these will get the job done). All this requires is creating a CD with the program on it and booting off of the CD instead of the OS. This way you are not tied into what the OS can or cannot do (mainly there will be no programs using files from the HDDs). Booting from the CD will allow you to do whatever you need to do and modify what ever you need to modify on the HDDs.

Creating an Ubuntu live disc would work as well you would still be using the CD to boot your computer. It just seems very time consuming (never mind can be very slow) to run an entire OS from a CD to use just one program. Creating a disc with just one program on it will be much faster.

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

You cannot delete the Windows installation because your using the Windows installation, lol.

Put your cd in, boot to that drive and it will ask you if you want to format your drive during the installation process.