How do I format the c frive on acer laptop before restoring factory settings?

Antipreload

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,

My Acer laptop has a virus in the CSRSS & Winlogon Windows files and I have tried everything to rectify it; Spybot, Malwarebytes etc. They have found aand cleaned lots of stuff but the Windows files are still corrupted. I have restored factory settings a couple of times but rogue Windows files are still there. I have been told that I shoould reformat the C drive as the virus is probably stopping the corrupt Windows files being overwritten. I have recovery disks but cannot format the c drive, can anybody help please?

G

The drive is probably a common brand -- and should be listed in Device Manager or the BIOS. Otherwise open the case and see. Go to drive maker's site and look for a utility which will clear the drive -- write zeros all over it.

You may find similar freeware utilities on download sites such as Filehippo or CNET.

Be very careful though, if your are not reinstalling Windows from a CD or DVD -- the restore image you're relying may be stored on a partition on your hard drive -- that WILL be wiped by a Zero Write utility.

If you are in any doubt, contact Acer and ask them to send you a restore CD.

Antipreload

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
The drive is probably a common brand -- and should be listed in Device Manager or the BIOS. Otherwise open the case and see. Go to drive maker's site and look for a utility which will clear the drive -- write zeros all over it.

You may find similar freeware utilities on download sites such as Filehippo or CNET.

Be very careful though, if your are not reinstalling Windows from a CD or DVD -- the restore image you're relying may be stored on a partition on your hard drive -- that WILL be wiped by a Zero Write utility.

If you are in any doubt, contact Acer and ask them to send you a restore CD.

Thanks Fihart

I do have full recovery disks but I am now a bit concerned that I may lose Windows and the fidden partition. Is there a way of formatting without wiping it or the d drive?

G

When you install Windows normally there's an option at the beginning to deal with the hard disk. There are several choices including creating a new partition. I would assume you can get to that screen while restoring but I maybe wrong.

If you have a full restore disk set it may not matter if you wipe the drive completely before starting. Read instructions or contact Acer.

Antipreload

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Unfortunately reformatting doesn't come up as an option and at no point in the process does it appear that it is. I have been told I can do it using Alt F10 but I have no instructions on how to it. When I enter this function there is no menu or clear way of doing anything other than running the recovery disks.

G

You'd better contact Acer and check that wiping the drive is advisable because it looks like the best option to be rid of a virus.

G

Try posting you query again in the Storage section of this Forum as that's where the Hard Drive 'experts' hang out.

If Acer charge for taking phone calls, it just confirms my impression that they are a brand to avoid now what with the cosmetic problems with Acer cases and broken power sockets and accounts of poor service.