Solved! How do I get a subwoofer to work for my pc?

aronbchek

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Little more detail, I got a Onkyo 750 Subwoofer from goodwill. I just wanted the sub and not the extra speakers. The only ports and cables I see for the Onkyo is line in and the power cable. It's a RCA port, which was problematic for me but I found a site that sells rca to 3.5 adapters. So the moment of truth. I plugged the cable into the sub/c port and nothing, messed with the sound props, the speaker props, either 5.1, 7.1 nor Stereo worked. (PS I have a speaker system that has a sub and left right channel speakers, I just wanted a better woofer. Anyways. When I just plug the sub into the line out on the computer, the green port, it works, it just has crappy normal frequency sounds. But the bass works fine. Any suggestion on how to utilize both or if I can? In case someone suggests taking the subwoofer from my previous set up and just swapping them, the sub is controlled by a control unit thingy? and has line out for the speakers and thats it.

Solution
Found out how to do it. I used a RCA adapter to 3.5 female and used an Aux cable to connect the sub and the pc. The sub only has a RCA in so that's all I needed, for other subs I'm sure there are more ports to plug. But I followed the advice above and tried the orange port and also messed with the computer settings. Even thought I don't have other satelite speakers for it, I left the channel at 5.1, which activated the subwoofer and the stereo speaker/base pair I had previous. It took some fiddling but eventually I got it and it sounds great! Thanks for those who suggested.

aronbchek

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I'm not sure how to set up pc settings so the sub would work. I but also had a cable that had two RCA and one 3.5 out and it didn't work. I think I put it into the wrong pc port? but I'm not sure

aronbchek

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Found out how to do it. I used a RCA adapter to 3.5 female and used an Aux cable to connect the sub and the pc. The sub only has a RCA in so that's all I needed, for other subs I'm sure there are more ports to plug. But I followed the advice above and tried the orange port and also messed with the computer settings. Even thought I don't have other satelite speakers for it, I left the channel at 5.1, which activated the subwoofer and the stereo speaker/base pair I had previous. It took some fiddling but eventually I got it and it sounds great! Thanks for those who suggested.

Solution