Question Connecting old Sony (powered) Sub to Eris E5 studio monitors possible?

Mar 27, 2023
Hi there,

Nice to meet you all. For my first post I'd like to ask something that would help me decide on the purchase of the Presonus Eris E5 speakers (to use with my digital piano).

My decision hinges partly on the potential to connect these to my old subwoofer, a Sony SA WM 40.

The (potential) problem is that this sub can only be connected to speakers via regular speaker wire (or whatever the professional term is). While the Eris E5 studio monitors must be connected with either TRS, RCA or XLR.

So, is this basically end of story, or is there some kind of adapter or plug I could use?

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to your replies.

Regards,
Bart.

Ameliaaa

Great
Mar 21, 2023
Hello Bart,

Your subwoofer only works with regular speaker wires, whereas the Eris E5 requires TRS, RCA or XLR connections.

The good news is that you can still use your subwoofer with the Eris E5 speakers by using adapters or plugs. You have the option of using an RCA-to-TRS adapter or an RCA-to-XLR adapter to connect the subwoofer to the studio monitors. Alternatively, you can purchase a converter box that can convert the subwoofer's regular speaker wire output into an input that the Eris E5 can recognize.

However, it's important to note that using a subwoofer with your studio monitors could impact the overall sound quality. For optimal sound quality, it's recommended to use studio monitors without a subwoofer.

Mar 27, 2023
Hi Ameliaa,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Good to know there are still options available. I've looked at several adapter plugs in the meantime. For example, I've seen RCA to speaker wire plugs (such as these: https://www.allekabels.nl/tulp-verl...MI4Kimj-H8_QIV2weLCh0mVg2xEAQYByABEgKoAvD_BwE), so I can connect the monitors with the sub.

And then perhaps use some speaker wire to TRS/6,3 mm jack adapter (such as this: https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/ster...MI_JHz6dOA_gIVcgbmCh3Mkg39EAQYASABEgIto_D_BwE) to connect the sub to the DP.

But as I understand it, you wouldn't advise using a subwoofer with monitors to begin with? :)

Either way, it's good to know I have options. I'll just give the speakers a good run without the sub first.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Bart.