br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
IE8 *supposedly* is faster. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it really is. Have you looked into using Firefox? You will notice a lot of this lag go away if you switch to it.

RyanS2000

Distinguished
May 23, 2008

I highly recommend firefox also. I am the "computer guy" in my circle of family\friends and I am the designated problem solver. Every comp that I clean\fix I also install firefox onto if I don't see it already.

I know the newer IE has made an effort to be more secure and what not but when I do an ad-aware scan on an IE comp vs a FireFox comp, firefox always is alot cleaner.

Hailie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
If speed is such an important issue, you really should consider switching across to Firefox or Safari. Both are much more stable than IE8, not to mention quicker and better received on a wider level that Microsoft's offering. I believe Firefox is currently the quickest of the mainstream browsers in terms of page load time.

In terms of optimizing IE8 to run faster, you could remove some of the add-ons that are attached to the toolbar and try running less tabs/windows. These can both contribute to slowing down the browser.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Honestly... Firefox is no longer the fastest browser. I love firefox personally but that is because of its plugin feature, tab browsing and better security (frequent patches) that give me the confidence in using this browser. It's not the lightest browser you'll use although firefox 3 has improved memory management.

The fastest browser on earth now is google chrome. It loads up much faster than firefox 3 and it's got an optimized javascript engine which means webpages load a hell lot faster too.

Firefox 3 on their next patch promised a more efficent browser, but until then, google chrome is the fastest browser right now.

IE hasn't innovated much lately. It's really just updated its technology to try to catch up to firefox but it still has a lot of issues (security wise and the way it interprets code [developer end]).