Solved! How do i know i'm not getting ripped off or defrauded? (Laptop parts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
I have a four yr old Toshiba C55-B5356 that I want to get a couple of parts to replace. These parts are a battery and a fan. I've seen very cheap replacement batteries at amazon starting at $15 and other ones at laptopbatteryexpress.com for $65.

Here's a link ttps://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/Satellite-C50-A-C50-B-C55-A-C55-B-C55D-A-Battery-p/tos-c55-b.htm

Then the same dilema happens with the fan. So my question is-have you guys been faced with the same situation? How do i know which one to get? Is the maybe a website that is the "go to" place to get every laptop part from? Thank you in advance.

Solution
Cheap batteries are 95% junk, they can last from just weeks to a year before the capacity drops to like 15 minutes in most of them. I don't often buy replacement batteries but it can be a guess as to what model will be good. Really the only battery you would be able to fully trust is an original Toshiba battery that uses good cells. The cheaper ones use stuff from China that is poor quality.

You are taking a gamble, save money but have a good chance the battery won't last long and will have lower run time or spend 2 to 3 times the money on a known good battery.
Cheap batteries are 95% junk, they can last from just weeks to a year before the capacity drops to like 15 minutes in most of them. I don't often buy replacement batteries but it can be a guess as to what model will be good. Really the only battery you would be able to fully trust is an original Toshiba battery that uses good cells. The cheaper ones use stuff from China that is poor quality.

You are taking a gamble, save money but have a good chance the battery won't last long and will have lower run time or spend 2 to 3 times the money on a known good battery.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
Don't buy cheap batteries. I almost had a very nice Fuji X-T1 camera either be destroyed or a very expensive repair due to an aftermarket battery that swelled about 0.5 mm or so.

If it had swelled inside the camera...it would have had to go back to Fuji for removal.

Traditore

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
There are original parts and there are copies, compatible batteries. Good battery can't cost that little even a copy. I never buy them cheaper than $40. Battery at $15 is junk that will not last. Originals are the best.

I can use a copy fan, bought a lot of them and generally they perform well - you will replace a laptop sooner then this fan will fail. Fan copies can go from $10 to as much as $20-$30. Original probably costs around $30 but original part become unavailable at some point for older models of laptops so all you left with are copies or originals used/from disassembled laptops.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
So, what I figured is the same thing you guys told me. I, was simply wondering if there is a perfect way to shop for these parts without worry especially for an older laptop like mine where original parts are discontinued. Well, thank you very much all.

Status
Not open for further replies.