Solved! How do i move to the top of a document? control + home doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mecowie

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I have a new Dell laptop. The keyboard commands Control + Home and Control + End don't work to take me to the beginning or end of a document. Any suggestions?

Solution
I use the AltGr key to the right of my spacebar to produce é and ó but for anything other than the acute accent, I resort to the Character Map.

In Windows 10 you find it by typing it into the Search bar then set a Desktop shortcut for it.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
Depending on your laptop, your Home/End key may be triggered by the FN key. This is especially if you don't have a full keyboard. The FN key is basically used when one key has two functions and what's highlighted in blue (usually) is triggered only using the FN key. It would really help if we had the model of the laptop.

EDIT: Looks like I was a bit slow this morning, I need my coffee.

mecowie

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Thanks to both who kindly replied. I tried using FN + Home and FN + End without success, but this made me think that perhaps the FN key would work with the more usual Control + Home or Control + End combination. So I pressed FN + Control + Home and it worked! Thank you very much - I wouldn't have thought of using the FN key if you hadn't mentioned it.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

Yes, the FN "makes up" for not having a full keyboard, but you have the functionaility of it. If you see blue text on any of your keys, it's mostly triggered by the FN key.

mecowie

Prominent
May 4, 2017

mecowie

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Ah! In that case, do you think that the FN will help me to get some sort of replacement for the number keys that appear on the right of a desktop keyboard? I use a lot of accented letters (I'm a translator) and usually insert them by pressing ALT + a number code to give me, say "é" or "ã". How would that work with this limited keyboard? (There is no blue on my keyboard, by the way, or any colour other than white).

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Are you doing your translating work at home or in your office? If so, I would get a full size USB connected keyboard to make your job easier. If you are doing it out in the field, then dragging along a full size keyboard might not be ideal.

mecowie

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I use a desktop at home, but the laptop is for when I'm travelling, so it wouldn't be very convenient to have another keyboard while I'm on the move, but in fact I work for weeks at a time abroad, and it would be an advantage then to have another keyboard. I'll enquire about it at my computer shop - thanks, good idea!

I use the AltGr key to the right of my spacebar to produce é and ó but for anything other than the acute accent, I resort to the Character Map.

In Windows 10 you find it by typing it into the Search bar then set a Desktop shortcut for it.

Solution

mecowie

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Thank you for this. I'm not familiar with the AltGr key - I've often wondered what the "Gr" means - and usually use the Alt key on the LH side. However, I think on this new laptop I'll have to involve the FN key in order to use the normal numbers along the top of the keyboard, in the absence of the numbers on the right side of the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.