How do I open up my Asus K501U?

Matthew_151

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
I really don't want to start poking around without knowing what I'm doing and what tools I need. I just want to replace the hard drive. At a future time, I'll probably put in an extra RAM card, but I'm assuming once that's open, it will be fairly self explanatory.

31aces

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
I own the k501ux and was pretty nervous myself when i took a look at the back realized there wasn't a clear obvious way to open it up which did piss me off because of what I found inside. Having mine as an amazon order and person selling it listed different computer. Anyway there are 2 types maybe more but 2 I know for sure xk501u and k501ux. We have k501ux and what i found is if you have visible screws then its our model. Simply unscrew all 9 screws in total. Then you need to pry it open. Use a guitar pick start at one of the usb seems and trace the entire laptop. What i found if went in with mindset of just trying to loosen bottom dyring trace when you get to the end it pops right off by itself. Be careful as my friend wasn't and bottom never fit back on like it is designed too.

Extra goodies:
I have the i7 256 gb ssd 8gb memory i believe. First thing I wanted was to upgrade hard drive space and memory.
Pro: the laptop comes with a 2nd hardrive bay actually probably was dvd tray but sense mine didn't have dvd I was able to 1 tb seagate sshd gaming hardrive works great very cheap. Apparently the ssd is a rrfd type (not sure if right abbreviation) finding and upgrade for this has become a pain. 256 gb isnt enough no matter how i set the laptop up end up running into issues.

Memory pissed me completely off as it has only 1 bay allowing me to upgrade 2 gb of memory didnt like.

The cpu overall is pretty good being my first 1000 dollar laptop I was really impressed in begining now realizing want better. Know this was long but whatever i can never find anything on this laptop always the other which is and i3 or i5.