How do I record my smart tv screen with my laptop? (if its even possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The laptop is outputting to the TV. Within the laptop, you can (maybe) capture what is going out to the TV/monitor.
But the HDMI cable has nothing to do with it. There is no 'in' function.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you connect the TV to the laptop via HDMI, the TV is merely a really big monitor.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Whatever is on the laptop is displayed on the TV. As said...a big second monitor.

Okay.....

I am going to assume you have a Samsung SmartTV. As demonstrated in the following short video (less than 40 seconds), it is possible to record live TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRzWoH0S10

1. You will need to purchase and external hard drive with a USB connection (like Western Digital - WD My Passport) and connect it to one of your SmartTV's USB port.

2. Go into Smart Hub and click the AllShare Play icon.

3. Next click the Recorded TV icon.

4. Click the channel you want to watch and record.

I do not have a SmartTV so if this does not work for you then I can't really give you anymore help.

Here is a short tutorial for a LG SmartTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfuPPPx4rQ

The only other help I can provide is to use Google / Youtube to help figure out how to record video using whatever SmartTV you have. Simply type in something like the following:

Samsung Smart TV recording

You need to go through the available applications that your Smart TV has to see if there is one that will allow you to record the channel you are watching. I am going to assume it is a standard feature for all Smart TVs. Read through your manual perhaps it will have the information you are looking for.

As demonstrated by the videos for the Samsung and LG Smart TVs all you need is an external hard drive with a USB cable to record TV channels. I can't help you beyond that since I do not even own a Smart TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.