How do I set apps to download onto my SD card instead of internal storage?(Samsung Galaxy ON5)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangus Khan

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Hi, I recently bought a Galaxy ON5 and it's internal storage, which all my apps seem to be downloading to, only has about 8.00 GB. I was wondering if there is a way to set apps to download onto my SD card instead? I've looked up some tutorials but they all seem to be for different Samsung devices than mine. I found a similar question for my same phone model asked but it went unsolved. I have the same issue as in it only gives me the option to format my SD card as portable storage and not internal. Anyone know what I should do?
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-3129485/set-default-storage-card-galaxy-on5.html

Solution
Start off my going into Settings and make a backup if it's available. If not, go to the Play Store and download Nandroid to make one for you in case anything goes wrong.

Back into Settings>More click on About Device. Tap it seven times and a message shows up telling you are now a developer. Developer Options shows up as a new section below About Device. One of those options is USB debugging so tick to allow that.

On your computer, search for KingoRoot (not Kingroot) and download it. Connect the phone to the computer via a USB cable and run the programme. It can take a while but you'll see a message that rooting was successful.

In Settings>Storage you should already see it's possible to save data to the card but to...

desireeschoice

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I did follow your instructions in post #4.

I tried KingoRoot desktop version first. Twice, it went go all the way to 100% and then failed. I disabled a couple of Lookout's security features. Then it won't even connect with it stuck on the "Connecting.... please enable debugging USB mode" even though it was already enabled. So I downloaded the KingoRoot app on my phone. Even after installing, Lookout was trying to block (it wasn't doing me a favor :p). So I disabled all functions and then turned off via app settings. Now the app was able to run and would get to 10% then fail every time. I was tired and grumpy last night so I tried everything again today.

Desktop version connects, completes, fails with no reason given. App version completes and fails with code 0x1933C1 that Rufus1967 had.

desireeschoice

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

I do thank you for your time and knowledge regardless! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.