How do I set the default apps location to sd card for samsung galaxy s4 active

raybrown666

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
I can move my applications from the device to the SD card, but I want to be able to set the SD card as the default app install location. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active.

Solution
Android

Names / Versions
--------------------------------------------------
Cupcake ................... 1.5
Donut ....................... 1.6
Eclair ....................... 2.0 – 2.1
Froyo ....................... 2.2 – 2.2.3
Gingerbread .............. 2.3 – 2.3.7
Honeycomb .............. 3.0 – 3.2.6
Ice Cream Sandwich .. 4.0 – 4.0.4
Jelly Bean ................ 4.1 – 4.3.1
KitKat ...................... 4.4 – 4.4.4
Lollipop .....................5.0 – 5.1.1
Marshmallow ............ 6.0 – 6.0.1
Nougat ..................... 7.0 – 7.1.2

If the phone is letting you run all your apps from the SD card, and the phone wasn't rooted, that is unusual, but it if works, great.
Well, 1. Your phone must be running at least Android "Marshmallow" or newer. 2. It must not have been restricted by the manufacturer. (Which does happen.) and 3. You will need the following instructions.

NOTE: If your phone doesn't have all the steps involved, or any of them don't work for you, then your phone cannot make this change.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

raybrown666

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

raybrown666

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Thanks for the detailed answer. I have Android 5.1. I'm not familiar with the name designations, so I'm not sure if my phone qualifies. In addition, I've already moved all apps to SD, so it would be daunting to re-format the card. I'm also unsure of the downside of having all my apps there. If you have any more insight please let me know. Thanks again. Ray

Android

Names / Versions
--------------------------------------------------
Cupcake ................... 1.5
Donut ....................... 1.6
Eclair ....................... 2.0 – 2.1
Froyo ....................... 2.2 – 2.2.3
Gingerbread .............. 2.3 – 2.3.7
Honeycomb .............. 3.0 – 3.2.6
Ice Cream Sandwich .. 4.0 – 4.0.4
Jelly Bean ................ 4.1 – 4.3.1
KitKat ...................... 4.4 – 4.4.4
Lollipop .....................5.0 – 5.1.1
Marshmallow ............ 6.0 – 6.0.1
Nougat ..................... 7.0 – 7.1.2

If the phone is letting you run all your apps from the SD card, and the phone wasn't rooted, that is unusual, but it if works, great.

Solution